Career Change

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by afesposit, May 22, 2018.

1. afesposit

afesposit Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Looking at making a career change into trucking.

Doing my research and whatnot.

Few questions I have:

1) Should I go w/ a company that offers training included for new drivers or go get training out of pocket? I worry about being an indentured servant to a company and really being at their mercy? Feel like it's giving them carte blanche to mess w/ you b/c I'd be tied into a contract. Also, if I go to a school out of pocket, how difficult is it to get that first job w/o the school being aligned to a carrier already?

2) What companies should I avoid and which are considered better for beginners? I have CR England calling me, but I'm reading alot of bad on them. I've also had others reach out, Swift, Roehl... Your thoughts on companies would be interesting.

3) What is the typical cost per mile progression as I gain experience? I understand working my way up, but I'm just wondering at what stages do people w/ very good performance start to see rate increases?

Any feedback you could provide on the questions above would be appreciated. Thank you and stay safe...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    I think it’s best to pay for your own training. Where do you live?

afesposit and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Random user

Random user Light Load Member

May 13, 2018
    Will just speak to CR England .... they gave me numbers of 28 cpm ..... split .... as trainee for your first two months, then 28+4 cpm ..... split .... as trainer for the next two months, and then on months five, 32 cpm, gone three weeks home for 3 days, roughly.They also blew me up on thru email AND text... same message several times. Never will I ever consider working for a company who spams you hiring you.

Also did the math and with those numbers split, you would literally have to keep the truck moving for an entire month, maybe one day off (if its even legal), for you to bring home 500-600.... nope.

If you go w/a company offering training, you will likely have to work for them a bit... not sure how long. I am doing mine out of pocket so there is no indebtness.

afesposit Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't even look at cpm as a deciding factor. I was making $65K per year @ .36 cpm because of accessorial pays. In fact, when I accepted the job I didn't even ask about cpm. I finally asked the guy training me how much I was making for cpm and he told me .36 cpm and that all drivers make the same because they all do the same job. This is true, I'm not making it up. When I took that job, I had already been driving almost 20 years, so already knew cpm isn't very important; it's the accessorial pays that matter.
    Where is your location? We can't really give advice for companies unless we know the hiring area you live in.

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you. I am seriously looking into leaving IT into trucking.

7. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Go to a truck stop and talk to drivers of particular companies.

If you can afford to GET your own training.. do it. You'll write your own ticket.

Some of these starter companies are grinder mills and will work you for slave wages... and leave you sitting around.
    If you're only getting 2k miles per week in 7 days that means you're only moving around 300 miles/day. That's 5hrs driving or less.
    That's a LOT of sitting.

Do your homework, or you'll be disgruntled quickly.

LtlAnonymous and Puppage Thank this.
  8. afesposit

afesposit Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm located in Phx, AZ.

I've got so much to learn. Now I need to find out what "accessorial" means... haha... Clueless!

Thx again.

9. afesposit

afesposit Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018

Right! I have them reaching out nonstop that it's like spam....

10. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Get your own schooling like a community college if you can, it's a lot cheaper. FORGET CR England! A Big nope! Of those you named Roehl would be my first choice. I am pretty much convinced now it doesn't really matter which company you go with your first year, they are all about the same. Some better in some areas others worse..stick it out. People knock Swift, never worked for them but they do have lots of options. Maybe also consider Crete, they seem like one of the better starters and I have talked to quite a few of their drivers that have been with them for a long time. Once you get that forst year or two move on if you need to. talk to drivers at different companies, research, go somewhere that requires experience, rewards and appreciates their drivers, offers bonuses etc.

11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If you are financially able to do so, paying for your own CDL training is a good idea, as it reduces your liabilities to your first employer.

Just be sure that the company you train with is acceptable to the companies you want to work for. Call some companies who you might want to work with, and ask them what training companies near you are acceptable as training companies.

Billybob's Truk Skool where they train ya to drive a truck is three days isn't going to be acceptable to any company worth a ####.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.