Cargill meat haulers! Good and bad?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Computertrucker, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Computertrucker

Computertrucker Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Anyone here ever leased on with Cargill? Looking at their Texas dedicated..or possibly national division. Don't have a lot of reefer Experiance but have been an OO since 07 just bought my third truck actually. Would love to hear some opinions on the company.

Im actually doing ok where I am now just looking for a change of pace and possibly higher rate to go along with it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    JS Helwig, Terrell, TX ("meat hauler") will take o-o's with fairly recent equipment that's in good shape. Not sure about their pay scale but know it's more then many and they have plenty of freight and could probably run you strictly TX/OK/KS if that was a deal-breaker for you.

4. Computertrucker

Sep 7, 2013
    I'm used to running everywhere but west coast actually. I actually just bought a 2014 Volvo 780. So ya it's in pretty good condition exception a few bugs getting worked out. I don't own a trailer though. Have only done the reefer thing once back for about 6 months in 05.

What type of rate average or percentage are they getting?

5. Ok big boy

Ok big boy Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Call Al Evenson @ 806 342 4777 pretty good program there. I was there 3.5 years . I left to go back into open equipment.

Good People. http://www.evensontrucking.com/

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    All I know is they pay a fixed per mile rate, plus a variable fixed FSC on all miles loaded and empty. Pull their trailer they pay reefer fuel. Pretty sure they pay all tolls, tags,and the other typcial items paid by the carrier. They don't run CA anymore. They have a good relationship with Cargill and Tyson and JBS/Pilgrims Pride and get get freight anywhere they ask for and typically backhaul to Odessa, TX and Duncan, OK (dollar stores) as well as Pepsi Loads from Mesquite to various points in OK and W Texas (back to the meat patch)

Depending on where you call home, some places in TX can be ideal with Helwig.

All that being said, if you're looking for a "regional" or "Texas" setup, a fixed mileage rate may not be ideal, as opposed to percentage plan model

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check with Farm2Fleet and see what kind of deal they can offer you.

8. Pound Puppy

Pound Puppy Heavy Load Member

May 31, 2010
    Amherst, OH
    F2F is also operating an expedite division in partnership with Covenant. Im headed over there on the 17th. Call Farm 2 Fleet or look for big bad bill on here. F2F is his company, he is a straight shooter.

9. CMLS Truckline

CMLS Truckline Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Cargill has O/O'S leased on with them, running TX dedicated daily/weekly. Most of the Owners stay in TX all week, load from beef plant down into dallas, fort worth, houston, laredo and then get backhauls back up towards lubbock and amarillo tx. they pay % percentage based contract and there's plenty of freight for the O/O'S. Some of the Cargill O/O'S run over the road also, just about anywhere they want.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
    Simranjit and pusherman Thank this.
  10. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    This is your answer. I have a friend who has been leased to Cargill for quite a few years. He used to run all over but now he just runs pretty much panhandle to Houston and San Antonio and back. They pay percentage and it sounds like the rates are pretty good. He does deadhead back quite a bit and says sometimes it's not worth waiting on the cheap loads they get going back. I would suggest calling them and ask.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
    pusherman Thanks this.
  11. Computertrucker

Sep 7, 2013
    I just got done filling out cargills app. Will be faxing it in sometime this week. Spoke to Jeff last week as well as one of their drivers. Will give it a shot if they take me. I don't have a lot of reefer exp. but have an ace record.. So will see what happens.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.