Cargo Securement

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Joethemechanic, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    The Head of our Safety Department was telling me this is the new thing that "the powers that be" are going to push for.

[​IMG]

On multi tiered loads such as this load of sheet piling that this guy is loading on my trailer.

[​IMG]

They want us to start strapping or chaining each individual tier.

[​IMG]

So every tier has something securing it, like this.

It really is a good idea. And it makes it much safer for the guys that are loading it. If you strap the bottom tiers before you load the top it is easy to do. Otherwise you have to push your straps through with a long stick or a broom handle.

Ok now, What did I do wrong??????

On the upper tier I should have put a half twist in the straps on either side. That will stop the straps from vibrating in the wind. Any time you have a long straight run of strap you should put a half twist in it, or else the straps will vibrate and wear at the contact points. I have seen it so bad that a strap has broken in under 100 miles when you are traveling at highway speeds.

Not really a that bad on that load of piling but,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On something like this load of crane boom the straps can really vibrate and wear. It can also scuff the paint on the boom, Probably not a big deal on this load, But if it is someone's new 10 million dollar crane it can kind of upset them.

Why didn't I do it right??? I was only going about 10 miles down the road and not going all that fast. So I just got lazy I guess. What can I say...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

It always surprises me how many people have never heard of the half twist trick. I was taught that long ago and always do that whenever I have something strapped down. I always get a kick out of the occasional guy that will tell someone they did a lousy job strappping because there's a twist in the strap.

For those that don't know, by putting a half twist in, the wind does not get a good bite on the strap and make it "work" in the wind. If the strap is straight, it vibrates in the wind t a horrendous rate and that wears out the thrap quickly. take a look at straight straps sometime driving down the road and you will see the effect.

4. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    Got a quick question......I have read a few threads about load securement on various sites. There is always debate on one thing or another.

One of those debates is whether the straps should be on the inside or outside of the rub rail. Most, not all, say on the inside. I see the OP has them on the outside.

I would think (thinking is dangerous for me :biggrin_2559: ) that the inside makes more sense. What are advantages/disadvantages to have it in or out???

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I cannot stand the sound of a strap vibrating in the wind when a truck passes. Drives me nuts and its a short trip some days. :D
    TMC for one does not train their drivers to half twist. I suggested it to a TMC driver that was having some problems with his securement and he looked at me like I fell out of the crazy tree hitting every branch on the way down. :D

As for the rub rails inside or out, I think the thinking on having them inside is that if you lay the truck over or rub against some thing with the trailer you could cut the straps, and loose the load.

6. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    Inside is better but, on many of the trailers that I pull the rails are bent in from side loading with a forklift. This makes it impossible to get the hooks in between the channel that is the side of the trailer and the rail. Notice on the first load (the sheet piling) all but one of the straps are on the inside. The green trailer is built in such a way as to make it impossible to go inside the rails. There is a gusset welded between the top of the pocket that the winch sits in and the rail. You also have to watch out for sharp edges on the trailer. We have 2 aluminum trailers that are so sharp on the edges that I always go outside the rail because the rail has a rounded edge. I am also not so crazy about the winches being on the driver's side. If you have to stop on the road to tighten them, you run the risk of being run over.

Pretty much you have to use good judgment and do the best with what you have to work with.

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Actually, inside or outside the rub rail is of little consequence to me. Lets make the assumption that something does happen and the truck turns over. In theory, something could cut the strap right at the point where it is contacting the rub rail, so inside would seem to be a slight bit better. But those same forces could easily tear or bend the rub rail, damage the hook on the end of the strap, or cut the strap 2 foot above the rub rail. And in any of those cases, the strap is disconnected and no longer restraining the load. There could be some slight theoretical advantage to one way or another, but the safest move is to not turn the truck over in the forst place. Once an accident starts, trying to anticipate the forces involved is an almost impossible task.

8. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    There are also plenty of times when pulling a 96 wide trailer you cannot put the straps on the inside.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Either my dad or my uncle taught me to put the "half twist" on a tiedown strap when I was a kid.

During my first and only time pulling flatbeds as a truck driver, I had to go out with a trainer to get familiar with flatbeds. He had never heard of this method, and refused to allow it on "his" loads. Then again, there was many things he was clueless about. But, he was the trainer. :biggrin_25513:

10. Snake_Ize

Snake_Ize Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2006
    I don't recall TMC specifically teaching the half twist but it was definitely mentioned at some point in orientation during a conversation. I don't believe my trainer used it with any of the high loads we carried.

Concerning the location of the straps it was required by TMC that the straps were to be inside the rub rails for the reason stated above. The only exception was if the trailer was 96" wide and the load made it impossible to go inside the rail.

11. Snake_Ize

Snake_Ize Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2006
    At TMC we were told to "belly strap" loads such as you pictured. Some loads like Griffin pipe had specific instructions to belly strap. When the first tier was loaded I would throw two straps over it but not secure them so as not to slow down the fork lift operator. When the top tier was loaded three more straps were thrown over the top and then all would be secured. TMC required us to alternate the straps so that every other one was on the opposite side of the trailer. They claim it equalizes the pull so that the load isn't being pulled toward the winch side.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.