Carrier Identity Theft

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dispatch_This, Mar 20, 2007.

1. 03/16/2007WARNING! IDENTITY THEFT ALERT!CHECK YOUR FMCSA MC AND SAFER DOT INFORMATION! PERSONS UNKNOWN ARE ALTERING THE INFORMATION IN THE FEDERAL DATA BASE. THEY ARE CHANGING THE ADDRESSES AND PHONE NUMBERS TO MAKE IT APPEAR THE COMPANIES ARE OUT OF A DIFFERENT STATE, AND ARE USING THE FALSIFIED INFORMATION TO OBTAIN FREIGHT AND/OR BROKER FREIGHT.

TO CHECK YOUR FMCSA (MC) INFORMATION CLICK HERE:
    TO CHECK YOUR SAFER (DOT) INFORMATION CLICK HERE:

We have received the following from one of our Brokerage Friends:
    Looking back through my records on the carriers that have hauled for me, I realize that Motor Carriers are making the mistake of sending out their FMCSA letter that has their PIN to FMCSA with their Motor Carrier Packets. This is happening on an average of 2 out of 5 with all of my files. I never realized that the PIN # was on this letter until I read one and after reading your security alert above. You may want to add that Motor Carriers SHOULD NOT include this information in the packet they send to brokers. That letter is PRIVATE for the use of the Motor Carrier only and should not be public or they have given access to their PIN# and anybody with it can go to FMCSA and alter the carriers’ information.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Date of Birth:
    January 31, 1910 Age:

ok, so according to you profile, you are 97 years old.

who are you exactly, another brokerage house...??

4. LOL! I must have inadvertently entered the wrong date when I registered.

This is accurate information - New independents need to be careful when setting up with a broker. It isn't necessary to include a copy of the FMCSA letter that contains your user name and PIN#. There has been a rash of ID theft lately as stated above. I will post more info later - time to sleep...

5. Martin97

Martin97 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2007
    NE, Oregon
    Thanks for the info! I'll look into it.. and I dont even mind if your 97...

6. From the ITS Alert List 4/6/07

The Good Guys Win One

F.M.C.S.A. Reports that you can no longer make changes online on the Licensing and Insurance website to MC#, FF#, MX#. Things effected are.
    Operating authority name changes
    Operating authority address changes
    Operating authority transfers
    Operating authority voluntary revocations
    Please refer to safersys for more information.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.