Carrying birth certificate to and from DMV

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by waveform, Feb 14, 2019.

1. waveform

waveform Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2014
    California
    Seems like ever since I moved to California, every visit to the DMV, (and now this week I'm going to HME Threat Assessment office to renew) I've had to bring my SS card and birth certificate every time. My birth cert is over 40 years old and I really don't like carrying it around. Whats so stupid about all this is: I have a California Real ID license with my picture I just renewed two months ago which is prof that I already had to show my SS and birth cert. But the real joke, is that California lets people vote who are illegal, but someone like me who's been a born citizen has to keep carrying these old documents around.
    It's 2019, we have advanced computers but yet the DMV and Home land seems to not be connected in any way. We landed on the moon in 1969, but here in 2019 we can't find a better solution for identifying authentic US citizens without making them carrying their (only) birth certificates? I think society TODAY is becoming more stupid by the day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is the federal government's bright idea like the TSA, we should have fought it when they proposed it back under Bush, the same with using a passport to go to Mexico and Canada.

4. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    It's not going to change, so adapt. Get another official copy of your Cert. It's not hard to get. I do understand your complaint.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you understood just how shaky our computers were in 1969 going to the moon as a mobile computer...

Anyway...

Your home state archives building contains your BC, they can crank out a copy for you at any time for a few dollars and a little bit of time to process your request for a new one. I keep mine in the safe and maybe once every 15 years it comes out for the Revenuer here (Our DMV) which will happen again later this year for Real ID 2020 purposes.

Half tempted not to bother, I don't do federal courthouses and I don't fly anyway. And I just got a regular car license so I don't have to go through the headache and pain trying to renew a freaking CDL this year. Im so happy.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Like others are saying, get a copy. When I adopted my daughter I had to get a copy as mom has mine in the safe in her place. When I did I got like 5 copies certified (it was cheap, less than $30 IIRC) that way I gave out one to the father in law who put it in the safe deposit box at the bank. One to my sis in law who has it in her fire safe, and the rest I put in my fire safe.

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I had to get one for DMV when the stepped up things after 9/11 and would not accept my original, filled out with a fountain pen...funny that one was good enough to get me through school, married, and everything else for close to 50 years.....

go on line, they are cheap and fairly e z to get

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.