Cars merging onto highway

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JSanborn103, May 22, 2022.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, we are down to only 49 states that it's always the vehicle changing lanes fault.
    Thanks for the state code.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    But do remember that in most states it’s illegal to intentionally block someone from merging. Also the original question was concerning fault. Fault is generally a civil term and doesn’t necessarily coincide with a traffic violation. Many states have in their civil laws a Last Clear Chance law or similar, which basically means that regardless of traffic offenses committed by someone, whoever had the last clear chance to avoid the crash can be held liable either fully or in part.

ZVar Thanks this.
  4. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    I was heading through Charlotte and it was heavy traffic, I was in the far right lane. There were cars to my left so I couldn't move over. Some DOT idiot tries merging onto the highway and had to yield to me.

I see him come up on my left and go past me at a high rate of speed. Up ahead there's a weigh station and it was closed. I had a prepass which said it was ok to go by. Just as I was coming up to the scales, the sign reads, "weigh station open, truck must exit." As I'm entering the scales another sign lights up, "Truck must come in."

I walk in and the cop says, "the reason I pulled you in is because you didn't move over as I was trying to merge onto the highway, but I'm only going to give you a warning." I didn't say a word because I know who's going to have the upper hand and he was clearly abusing his authority and having a bad day... I wasn't going to allow him curse me with his bad karma.

5. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington
    I seriously disagree with that being a law. Not arguing with you because I don't no Illinois law, just feel that law is wrong.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  6. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Please stop spying on my dog and cat.

Now I gotta figure out where you hid the camera...

An I agree with the others about the whole merging on the highway thing. They usually put those yield signs up for a reason at the entrance to highways but eh...I've come to the conclusion most people who drive can't read. Or use a turn signal.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Off to console the dog an cat, their secret is out.

InTooDeep, Bean Jr. and Judge Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    What dick head. Good on you for not saying anything. I would've lost my cool with that guy

8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Read the statute (listed in the law) that supersedes this one and you'll see that only applies to situations where there is no yield sign or other type of traffic control device. Traffic control devices are universal in this country. The laws they are associated with are the same...everywhere. Yield, stop, go etc etc...universal.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    They’ve taken all the Yield signs down here in AR on ramps, they say “The last person who had opportunity to avoid the wreck is at fault.”

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Appreciate the comment, but nope. If you interpret 901 the way you suggest (Which addresses right of way at an intersection not a merge point) it states “the left must yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right” which would mean with an on-ramp on the right the highway traffic would have to yield to the merging vehicle.

11. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    My driver had incident on i88 in aurora Illinois ...he wasn't even in the far right lane ,it was slippery - merging car side swiped on the pass side , dash cam sounded ' event saved ' , cop showed up ,driver gave him memory card - cop wasn't been able to retrieve video from sim card ( loading sign for 20min ) , cop made generic report without anyones fault and was waiting on the video with proof that truck didn't move from the lane , smiling faces , all good ...one week later they claimed my insurance that my driver at fault and 2 passengers said my driver moved to their lane and everyone was next 15 min at the ER and its not even closed case yet ...adjuster asked for video from the card - i cant even find it on the memory card ....their car totaled already ...thats all driver story ( dont have any reasons to doubt him , he never been shady or sketchy guy and in almost 3 years working i never suspected him on any BS )...
    Adjuster already raised medical limits and she understands whats going on ( they try to squeeze insurance ) but nothing she can do

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.