CAT 3126 70 pin wiring help

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by montrose818, Nov 22, 2019.

1. montrose818

montrose818 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Hello. I was removing a number of unneeded wires and controls from a truck (it used to have a crane) and though I thought I tested after each wire removed, it seems I missed some, so now I have to wire some stuff.

Ecu is getting constant power pin 52 and 53, but ignition on 70 is a no go, I dont know how the crane ecu was feeding it, but from the ignition switch it went to the crane controls. I will try and connect these together tomorrow, sounds about right?

The intake heater lights do not come on, guessing because of ignition

I also get no starter crank when I turn the key over - is this related to the ignition wire, or a separate issue?

Additionally there was a fuel sol wire, not sure what this was a part of, or what to do with it.

Ive been studying schematics but kind of at a dead end now. The truck is a gmc c8500. I didnt see a fuel solenoid or starter on the wiring pinouts.

I appreciate any help. Yes, I am a complete dummy, but I could have sworn I tested after every wire I cut. Guess I blanked out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. montrose818

Apr 9, 2018
    To add.. I chaged batteries because the ones in the truck were drained for extended time and didnt hold charge well. I also did some welding on the truck (battery box had some cracks).

I want to say that I am 95% sure it cranked before changing thr batteries, but I was cleaning up wiring while doing other things.

Its got an Allison trans, andbI dont believe the keypad lights up. Possibly ignition wire issue in the cabin, and not just the engine? Or does the buttom pad turn on after engine geta ignition?

Thanks..

4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Did the crane have a engine "kill" or some interlock switches? You need a wiring diagram of what you cut.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  5. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    If your Allison keypad does not light up then engine will not crank. ECM needs to see that transmission is in neutral. If you welded anything with battery cables still connected to batteries you probably fried your engine ECM. Ripping out wires that may have had a function is a another issue that has to be addressed. You have a ton of work ahead of you......

pushbroom Thanks this.
  6. montrose818

Apr 9, 2018
    batteries were removed

ok neutral safety switch, will check that too

7. montrose818

Apr 9, 2018
    got it! Since the keypaf wasnt lighting up I figured its gotta be an ignition wire issue. There were 3 wires going from ignition to the crane controls. One eas ignition hot, one was starter hot, the other was empty. I took a guess and figured maybe that was the return to ignitition foe the truck and connected it with ignition hot - bingo!

Lesson here, test everything after each cut wire, I got pretty lucky.

Thanks for the help folks

swaan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.