Cat 3406B exhaust manifold bolts

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Rick Wilmath, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Rick Wilmath

Rick Wilmath Light Load Member

May 15, 2016
    Ok, If I have to take the manifold off, is there a safe easy way to do it. I am concerned I am going to break a few more studs getting it off. I have been pickleing the studs in PB blaster but I don't know if it is going to be enough.

Also, once I get the manifold off do I need to remove all of the existing studs? If I do can I use a couple of nuts and lock them together?

BTW. I am selling this truck and I won't be getting that much for it but it seems this repair is critical so I am going to do it.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Take a small ball peen hammer and hit the end of the studs pretty sharp. Several times each. Don't worry about the threads. Then put your box end wrench on em and apply pressure steady increasing as you hit them on the end. Vibration is the key

TGUNKEL, Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  4. Rick Wilmath

Rick Wilmath Light Load Member

May 15, 2016
    I finally got all of the studs out and am now am ready to install new studs. Does anyone know how much to torque the studs? Also, does it matter which side the exhaust manifold gaskets are applied to the manifold?
    Thanks

5. Gambino1994

Gambino1994 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    causing a situation
    I tightened my new studs on my b model with a pair of pliers, kind of hand tight with the pliers so that probably equals maybe 10-12 lb/ft. I have seen instructions saying studs need to be only hand grip tight also.

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Finger tight lots never seize.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.