Cat C-15 VVA

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by LesterV, Jan 22, 2021.

1. LesterV

LesterV Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Hey guys, I need help! Getting a #3&4 VVA high current code. I used to get 52-55 pounds of boost but now I’m down to 40. Tested the ohms on each solenoid and they tested fine.
    What is the best repair and why is this effecting my boost?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    She throwing any codes?

Flying blind I would be checking back to the head wiring harness back to the external harness if your solenoids ohmed out to spec. I'm sure someone else can chime in more up on these motors, I'm tearing into a similar project on my Acert in a couple of weeks.

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  4. Mattmanstroked

Mattmanstroked Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Messing with your boost because it goes into a derated mode.

Would look closely at the harness under the valve cover. They are known to break down due to age, oil, and heat.

Caterpillar Cowboy Thanks this.
  5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    IVA faults active will have fueling derate and loss off boost.

I would start with replacing the pigtails on those two IVA solenoids. Ohm out the solenoids for good measure. If the solenoids are open they are available in 2 valves per kit. With old brittle harness look forward to pulling the base and replacing both UVC harness's. Poorly routed harness can rub on moving engine parts as well.

The above is most common and the issue could lie anywhere between the ECM and the solenoids.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.