CAT C-16 out of frame rebuild turbo question

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by NFDDJS, Jul 14, 2012.

1. superhauler

superhauler Super Crusty

Jan 30, 2010
    dont take this the wrong way, but that is why i dont deal with cat shops anymore. all they care about is the warrenty back lash and not on how to treat the customer. i know they have their hands tied on the epa bs. i own the engine not cat!

2. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Well with that being said that makes be think that I should just go with the 6NZ C-15 550hp 1850T rather then the C-16. Everything I read says the stock C-16 is a pig on fuel with out a tuner and other upgrades and that the stock C-15 550hp is not bad on fuel and pulls good...

3. Kuzikan

Kuzikan Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Calgary
    They are not like that when it is no warranty- but if it is on warranty- it has to be in original condition, I agree that if it is yours, you can do what you want, but cat gives me my paycheck

4. Kuzikan

Kuzikan Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Your rut, it is a pig 3-4mpg for the 600-625s, but it's 6-7 mpg on the 725s, they all u the same fuel #s (fls/fts) and the flash file is what does the difference-different fuel maps for the different hp ranges

NFDDJS Thanks this.
  5. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    But from what I understand from you is that going to the 725hp will kill any warranty... Right??

6. Kuzikan

Kuzikan Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Calgary
    No, if you build it to cat spec with the right in frame platinum kit, pay for the new file (all iron must meet their spec) to get full 4 year unlimited mileage/ hours+ esc and free town g coverage, and the cherry is that it's a true 725! Just make sure ur trans can take it

7. Kuzikan

Kuzikan Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Calgary
    When you do the opt's, that's the best time to update/rerate your engine to a higher horse, ex: 475 c15, build it to a 625 and the kit costs the same, just $500 more for the software all warranty approved like I said 4 yr unlm miles/hours, and free esc upgrade which covers towing

8. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    How are the C-15 625hp engines on fuel vs the 550hp

9. Kuzikan

Kuzikan Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Calgary
    From what I see (in Alberta) around 5-7, depending on how it's driven, idle time etc for the 550s, 625s are 4-6, which in my eyes is quite decent for the power, I've seen both as low as 2/3 though

NFDDJS Thanks this.
  10. superhauler

superhauler Super Crusty

Jan 30, 2010
    yes i know your hands are tied on those issues. all i know is the local shops i have dealt with ended up going through an attorney to get satisfaction. it wasnt the mechanics it was cat corp higher up's telling me what i could and couldnt do! they were wrong!

• Draft saved Draft deleted