CAT C13 Acert KCB, Break in period

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by wtokhi, Oct 15, 2019.

1. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    hey ya'll,
    i just finished doing an inframe on 2007 KCB C13, new injectors and reman head also, started her up yday and only took a little starting fluid but started right up, sounds healthy, no sputtering, smooth idle, no smoke or excessive blowby, i was just wondering the way i should treat it to let everything break in correctly, after turning it on i let it run at around 1500 rpm for about an hour and a half as what i usually do, how long do these usually take to break in and how should i treat it, can i give it heavy loads, should i be worried something might go wrong now even after its on?,what things do i need to look out for? thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Your already treating it wrong by letting it run for hour and a half under no load.

Run it as hard as you can for the first 10,000 miles and dont idle it at all if possible. It needs to work to seat the rings . There is no break in period.

4. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    i wasnt idling tho i was at 1500 rpm for that time to build heat which was i thought it needs to seat everything properly, but yes i understand the engine needs to be under load, so heavy loads should be a good thing for it for now?

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If something is defective/not assembled right it'll let go regardless of how easy or hard you work it. Worst thing to do is let a fresh rebuild run under no load for extended periods. Diesel engines love to be loaded up.

6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Put it on the dyno for an hour and let it scream

7. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    okay ill give it a heavy trailer to pull, one quick question, ya know the valve spacer cover that goes in between the head and valve cover? well, the bolts for the valve cover just spin in the spacer, so i used a heli coil thread kit and got them to tighten up but i still got a leak towards the rear of the engine, the isolators and gasket are new, any ideas on what i should do, do i have to have the spacer machined or something? thanks

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  8. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    what do ya think would happen if things didnt seat right? high oil consumption or what?

9. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Just put the engine to work. Do not idle any more.
    You rebuilt the engine yet do not know how to break one in? I thought you would know that?

joey8686 and wtokhi Thank this.
  10. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    its only my second rebuild, im only 19 lol first one i did was a cummins isx and that one still runs great so i got hopes for this one, knowledge like break in comes with more experience which is why i come here

11. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I did not think you were that young. I am impressed. I'm not the much into wrenching. Mainly because I don't want to make things worse. And electronics gets in the way for me. And I have no teachers. Because I am driving most of the time.
    Congratulations. Wish you shot videos of your work.

wtokhi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.