CAT C13 Shuts off.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dannyc25, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Dannyc25

Dannyc25 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I have a 2009 Kenworth with a C13 that shuts off as soon as i go over 25mph, turns back on itself as soon as it goes lower than 25mph if its still in gear, if i go into neutral it will completely shut off and i have to wait a few minutes before im able to turn it back on with the key. I lifted the rear differential and run it in place and it will not shut off at all, i go over 25mph easily and it will let me go at wtv speed i want and it wont shut off. When it turns off while driving there isn’t a check engine light or any code when i connect with the ET program. Anybody had this issue before and what fixed it? I really need help here, thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Sound like it's running out of fuel under load. I'd be starting with basics,fuel system and fuel pressure checks. Any air in the fuel? Cracked pickup tube.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  4. Dannyc25

Dannyc25 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2019
    That was my first thought too and i already went through all that and there is fuel pressure and there is no air in the system and checked the tubes and there’s no cracked tube. I ran it now just slow without stepping on it and it goes over 25mph and it won’t shut off but as soon as i floor it and boost pressure goes around 20-26 it shuts off. I feel like it has something to do with the boost pressure?

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd check ECM keyed and constant power and the ECM ground. Could very well be a broken or loose wire that breaks contact once the engine torques up or from road vibration/bounce.

pushbroom and Goodysnap Thank this.
  6. Dannyc25

Dannyc25 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Also had that in mind so I went through a really bumpy dirt road at 25mph and it won’t shut off and the road really is bouncy, but as soon as i step on it and monitor the boost going up it dies. Then boost pressure goes down it immediately turns back on. I’ve tried replacing the ecm with one that i have just to see what it did and it let’s me go around 50mph with no problem and boost goes up it does the same thing. I’ve been trying for over 2weeks to find the issue and today I decided to hear someone else’s opinion since its driving me crazy already.

7. Dannyc25

Dannyc25 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I saw someone here with a similar problem and someone said something about replacing the comp board? But i have no idea what that is anybody know what the comp board is?

8. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Try unplugging the boost sensor to see what it does.
    Odd that your not getting any codes.

9. Dannyc25

Dannyc25 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Im gonna do that today and ill see what it does, ill keep y’all updated

10. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
  11. Dannyc25

Dannyc25 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2019
    If I can’t find it myself that is my last option

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.