Cat Dealer

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ready2truck, Apr 7, 2021.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Comparing 2 trucks of comparable year and mileage is no good in this scenario. Sometimes #### breaks. Especially on A/C related items.

How do you know it wasn’t put in with a burr on the threads or even cross threaded last time?

look at the broke end of the bolt. You will be able to tell if it was being turned left or right by the way it’s broke. Learn some failure analysis before jumping to conclusions

Tug Toy and AModelCat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    If the story didn't change after I asked for pictures I wouldn't have cared. Dude talked on the phone for 10min explaining how the corner of the condenser cracked while removing the bolt holding the condenser to the cac due too dissimilar metals, now the condenser is leaking out the crack. Which means they had to put it back together to discover this leak.
    After I ask for pictures the story changes. So I'm not really jumping to conclusions here.

btw the condensers on both trucks are original. Could've been crossthreaded from factory. Could've been hit with an impact even though I was told it wasn't. Could've been a lot of things once the story changes youre a liar in my eyes.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So was it leaking because its cracked or because the bolt was broken?

Most likely you were talking to a CSA and most have zero clue about anything mechanical. The just regurgitate the mechanic's notes with no understanding of what they're actually saying.

BoxCarKidd and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. ready2truck

Oct 27, 2020
    I talked to the guy that runs the place. He read the techs notes and said it's leaking from a crack in the condenser that happened during disassembly. I asked for pictures and the story changed to a broken bolt.
    It's impossible to mess something up that bad. How is a broken bolt anything close to a cracked leaking condenser?

6. ready2truck

Oct 27, 2020
    Another thing I thought of maybe you can explain it to me. If this broke during disassembly why would they put the broken condenser back on the truck then call me and ask me if I wanted changed? With that broken bolt there it's clearly obvious you can't put that back together. You can see the brand new charge air cooler right behind it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.