Cat MXS acting weird

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by rogermunn1, Jan 16, 2022.

1. rogermunn1

rogermunn1 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    NewBrunswick
    Was getting sputtering and bad performance , throwing code 74 on dash flash code . Had a cat buddy hook up to it and said it was low voltage on six injector . Did solenoid test and passed . Pulled cover and didnt see much wrong. Pulled injector anyway . Broken spring . Put new one in and it idled and worked better than it has in a long time . Two nights later same thing happened . Random code 74 on and off . sputtering . Didnt see much under the valve covers today . The harness under the valve covers is completely brand new . I checked wires from rear valve cover connector and decided to replace the three injector wires . 5&6 and orange common wire . They didnt look real real bad except orange had one bare spot . Gonna try it again tonight but idle still feels off . Could be just me looking for it now . Is code 74 just for cyl 6 or 5 and 6 ?
    I get mixed info on searches . Oh and it was complete wire change with new connectors on valve cover connector right to ecm with new connectors there as well . I GOT TO GET MY OWN ET

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Could it be a pin hole in a fuel line causing it to suck air?

4. Dbolle

Dbolle Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Did you ever get this issue figured out? I’m having the same problem currently.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.