Causes of Electrical Wire with Higher Voltage than Required?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Apr 20, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

So I have this electrical wire in my truck that is supposed to have a voltage between 2.25 and 2.5. My multimeter is showing the wire has 2.59 volts. The workshop manual says to repair the wire if it’s not within the range above. Anyway, what makes wires have more voltage than it needs? What exactly am I going to repair? A different wire making contact with the 2.59 wire?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I am not exactly sure what you working on that would require only 2 Volts DC, but in the automotive world, I would say that your not far enough out of range where I would suspect an issue.

Is this KOEO voltage or running? Have you checked your meter and leads for accuracy. Compared the reading to another meter. The variance could even be in your equipment.

PE_T, blairandgretchen and Expeditor Thank this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Datalink wiring runs about that voltage when data is being communicated. Certain sensors produce a constant voltage with certain states depending on what it is. When devices are corrupted or sensors are out of range will cause voltage anomalies. We can tell you better if you tell us what it is you're working on.

PE_T and Goodysnap Thank this.
  5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    True......my experience is the voltage on j1939 will be higher than this on a proper running unit. Usually around 3.5 VDC. I dont suspect this is what the OP is checking , but I could be wrong. A shorted datalink could show lower.

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I have two yellow check engine lights on my 2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD15. I am using Detroit’s workshop manual, and I have identified the cable that is the problem. It’s a cable from the DEF metering unit connecting to the ACM (120-pin connector). I did a continuity test from the metering unit connector pin to the ACM pin, and it passed. Nothing looked damaged. I’m not sure what exactly to look for. While driving, sometimes the check engine light disappears for a few seconds, but then it returns. There is an engine derate of 10%. I am stuck on the very last step (5b).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Reason for edit: More info.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

UPDATE———

It turns out I was looking at the wrong connector on the DEF metering unit, and I finally solved my problem. The full details are here.

DEF Wire Connection Problem?

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.