Cb question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by WrongWay30, Nov 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrongWay30

WrongWay30 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    I can't seem to find any good info on you tube or the net. I have an older Cobra NightWatch 29. My antenna is a Tram(comparable to Wilson 2500). My cb is all stock.. I set the cb to the antenna(channel 20, mic keyed up and lined up with the arrow on meter). Next I checked swr. On channel 1 swr is below 1/2. On channel 40 swr is about 1 1/4. I used the gauge on the cb unit.. All set up in a 2021 Freightliner Cascadia. All grounds and other wires/connections are stock. Rf gain was all the way up. Dyna mic was turned All the way up then back off a small turn. The SoundTracker button was turned on.
    I was recently told my set up needed work by another driver while talking. No one I've talked to really knows about cb radios.
    I'm here cause I'm not exactly sure on what may be the right set up. Do I have a good set up or did I miss something? I want to sound clear when I talk
    Any reply is appreciated.

blairandgretchen and tscottme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Demonrogue

Demonrogue Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Carson California
    You might have better luck getting a answer by posting your problem in the cb radio section here on the forum

WrongWay30 Thanks this.
  4. WrongWay30

Apr 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    Sorry. I'm newer to posting. I copied it to cb questions

blairandgretchen and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Demonrogue

Demonrogue Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Carson California
    It's okay I just thought I point you to the right forum for your question

6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    go 10 meter. its all about the swing when keyed up

7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Your setup sounds like it should be good, assuming the coax is good. That's the only thing you didn't mention. Also, you never know if the other driver saying your setup needs work has his radio set up to squelch out anyone sending less than 50 watts of power or how far away he was. For some drivers, if your radio doesn't vibrate his windows when you speak you are "weak."

9. WrongWay30

Apr 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    Everything is stock from coax to the mount outside

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

I don't know how much time & money you want to put into your CB. I always just used the best antenna I could put in the stock antenna mount. Sometimes I ran my own high quality coax to my antenna mount and antenna. I got better results doing that than the stock coax and stock antenna. My radios were always stock Cobra 29s or Uniden copies of it. But these days so few drivers have a CB that the few drivers that will reply are usually the ones that consider anything less than perfect "the worst piece of junk ever used in the world" even if it's just legal power or less power than they want on their radio. A CB shop, if you find an honest one, can easily check your setup as you are using it, find the weak spot, if there is one. Be wary of the guys that want you to just keep buying more expensive components. Sometimes it can be poor connection between components or a bad ground connection. I'm just a CB user. Hopefully the guys in the CB forum can be of help.

11. tscottme

IIRC, SoundTracker is just another level of noise limiter, it cuts the volume of static. It only affects what you hear not what others hear from you. Your RF and Dynamic settings are what I use. Your SWR is OK, although I understand the perfectionists are never ever no matter what satisfied their SWR is low enough. I don't think the power connection to 12 volt changes the quality of the transmission unless the ground connection is poor. I always connected my CB to the 12 volt studs rather than the cig lighter, except temporarily. I'm stumped. A CB shop or the CB forum cn help you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.