CB radio turns on, but cant get any audio at all

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by kubawysota, Apr 18, 2018.

1. kubawysota

kubawysota Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Hello all,

I have a Cobra 29LTD Chrome. I just installed it in my 99 Silverado. I have an antenna and everything. The radio turns on just fine and I can go through the channels without an issue. When I press on my mic, the meter shows that it works. My problem is that I am not getting any audio no matter what, I have tried every single channel and I cant hear anything. I even tried unhooking my antenna to see if I can hear some sort of static, and I don't. The RX/TX light pops on always obviously, and the ANT has never turned on at all. Is it possible that my speaker could be blown somehow in my radio or is there something I could be forgetting? And yes, I did mess with all the knobs in every way I could think of. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Have you tried an external speaker to see if you have sound? If you have sound with an external speaker, then your internal speaker is probably bad. I have seen this problem with a cold/broken solder joint on the external speaker jack. Once i resoldered the external speaker jack, then the internal speaker worked.

4. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    You might also look for a switch for the speaker.

5. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
  6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    No on/off speaker switches on a cobra........Then again I don't remember ever seeing one..

squelch all the way to the left....Mic gain(dynamic) all the way to the right.....rf all the way to the right.....delta tune and t-back,cal in the middle...............Squelch cuts static noise so turn that to choice for static.....
    Just for now the last two to the right center them till you get noise.....Then go to cal and follow this vid

His comment about all the power goin to ant is sorta correct but all the swr cal is telling you if your ant is to long or short.....

7. kubawysota

Apr 18, 2018
    Thank you for all the replies, I'm going to try the external speaker method to see if that helps, but before I try that, wouldn't I see some movement on my meter if someone were talking?

8. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes you should see the needle on the meter move if the receive signal is strong enough. It would help to know if this is a new radio? Or is it an older radio that worked the last time you used it. Also try moving the pa/cb, rf/swr switches to make sure they are making good contact (unless you already tried that). Its hard to trouble shoot this type of a problem over a cb forum without knowing more about the radio.

9. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Worse case senario could be a bad solder joint on the crystal / VCO section. You mentioned that the needle moves when you key the mic, but that doesn’t neccessarily mean its putting out an RF signal. Unless you verified that by using an external power/swr meter. It also could be a cold solder joint on the audio chips pins, that can cause a no receive problem too. I just mentioned to try an external speaker if you had one, since that would be a quick easy test.

10. kubawysota

Apr 18, 2018
    Yeah the radio is my dad's old cb, it worked last time before it sat.

11. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Oh okay. Ya, this isn’t uncommon for a radio to have problems, especially if it sat in storage for many years. My first thought is that the switches and pots may have oxidized and need to be cleaned. I use a can of Deoxit 5 to clean them. If that doesn’t work, then it could be a bad solder joint somewhere, or a bad electrolytic capacitor(s). The s-meter taps off the detector circuit, so if the voltages aren’t correct, the meter won’t respond correctly either. I hope I gave you enough info to get it working again. Unfortunetly it isn’t always cut and dry. It can be a number of things that can cause this problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.