CDL A w restriction of tractors, what school or company is best?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by treelife, Apr 16, 2017.

1. treelife

treelife Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Hi,

I have been reading this site for months to learn and help my husband as he tries to start his career in trucking. I've learned a lot, but have not seen his situation posted, so I guess it's time to ask your advice.

He has had his CDL B for several years and has driven buses with it. Most recently, he got his CDL A permit in June 2016, CDL A in November, with a restriction of tractor trailers. He mostly has experience driving flatbeds He has a Tanker endorsement, Passenger, and Air Brakes. Will he definitely need to go to full school just to get the restriction off? I wondered if he couldn’t just work on the tractor trailer part only. Many schools are telling him he needs to complete (and pay for) the whole program, despite already having his CDL A and driving experience. Is there a good company where he could just do a short training for the tractor part? We checked w Schneider, that was his first choice, but it appears he cannot do their training bc of the state we live in and they want his restriction lifted bf hiring him. I wanted to ask here bc you all will know best. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    He only has a permit . He has to test out at dmv to get license. Only way he can drive a tractor trailer with a permit js if a license driver sits in passengrr seat while he drives. If he feels tthat he can pass the test, hr will need to get a tractor trailer to the dmv and take the test. But most companies want to see school with 160 hrs. Good luck

4. treelife

treelife Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017

Thank you. :)
    He has the actual CDL A license, it just has a restriction for trailers.

bigkev1115 Thanks this.
  5. Kentrucker

Kentrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2017
    How does he have restrictions with trailers...But have a class A...

6. treelife

treelife Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    I am not certain, but probably bc w his job, they don't drive trailers, just mostly flatbeds. And that's who he got his CDL A with.

7. Kentrucker

Apr 7, 2017
    He would definitely have to go out with a trainer..

treelife Thanks this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yes, I'm confused. A CDL A is for combination vehicles. What sort of combination vehicle does not involve a trailer? And if this restriction is because he took the test in a truck and trailer, then he would need to retake the test in the type of vehicle desired, ie, tractor trailer.

treelife and Kentrucker Thank this.
  9. turtle1969

turtle1969 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    ive never heard of a trailer restriction, what state ? And no you do not have to go to a school, i would never tell someone to go to a school unless its there only option. you have way too many places you can apply to without paying the 3500+ for schooling. but also in order to obtain a class A he would have already had to of pulled a trailer on road test plus backed trailer in the road test also, im thinking you may be seeing something incorrect on his license

treelife, Bean Jr. and Kentrucker Thank this.
  10. Kentrucker

Apr 7, 2017
    I'm thinking he still has Class B...Bc I've never heard of that..

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I have never of this before either

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.