CDL and DUI's

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by AZ CDL, Jul 14, 2017.

1. AZ CDL

AZ CDL Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2017
    I need some clarification on getting and keeping your CDL with DUI's in Arizona.
    After the law was updated (in 95?).

Are you able to get a CDL with two DUI's?

Are you able to get a CDL with a DUI, get another DUI and still keep your CDL
    (DUI > CDL > DUI and keep CDL)?

Please provide a link to the information as well, if possible.
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Are you kidding? The first question, well 2 is a problem, but asking about getting a dui after getting your cdl, it sounds like you're planning to drink and drive.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  4. AZ CDL

AZ CDL Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2017
    The first was almost 8 years ago and I wasn't under the influence of alcohol. I was in my teens and got thc in my system - not that it matters, but I wasn't under the influence of that at the time either.
    The second was more recent, but I need a CDL to graduate.
    The reason I asked like that is because if I cannot get it with two, if I was in the process of getting it when I got the second if it would just basically be suspended right away.

5. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    I had to read that two, NO, THREE times! If you are asking these questions, you have a problem. Get help, before you kill someone.

Bean Jr. and Bwbibb Thank this.
  6. Bwbibb

Bwbibb Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    To cut to the chase, 3 dui's you got a problem address that. Second if they issue you you will not get a job. The very best you can hope for is no newer than 10 years, no company will hire you. But good luck, take care of you first.

7. AZ CDL

AZ CDL Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2017
    I understand where you're coming from, but this isn't how I live my life. I'm not going to go into details about the first time around, but even the arresting officer out right told me he didn't want to charge me with anything, he did it because someone else caused a scene and other officers had arrived.

This second time, I know what I did and I know it was stupid. It sounds stupid to say but other than this happening I'm actually really responsible, especially for people my age. I was going to buy a house, new vehicle, etc.. I was an idiot to get in the car. I know that.
    What I'm hoping is that I didn't just mess up a career and take a million steps backward from where I was about to be at in life.

iraqralph43 Thanks this.
  8. AZ CDL

AZ CDL Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2017
    I'm sorry, I don't understand the no newer the 10 years no company will hire part?

9. Bwbibb

Bwbibb Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Brother, I'm trying to give you the facts here. Insurance companies do not look to reasons/ why's and therefore. They run your DMV, it comes up with a conviction for a DUI or felony drug conviction theyvlook at the date. Less than 10 years is the norm and they disqualify you.

You being in Arizona you could contact Swift they are self insured and here recent grads. They maybe willing to work with you.

Really good luck, I've been down too. Hard work grind it out and eventually you'll get where you want to be.

Badmon and BUMBACLADWAR Thank this.
  10. AZ CDL

AZ CDL Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2017
    The previous post I was trying to explain to Crude that even drinking or anything else in general isn't something I really do, not contradicting what you were saying.
    I just didn't understand what you meant by the no newer than 10 years part. I know that a company won't care why it happened.
    Again, I just want clarification, are you saying less than 10 years is disqualification for getting a cdl or getting hired at most places unless self insurred like Swift is? I know it'll be hard regardless.

11. Bwbibb

Bwbibb Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Usually has to be 10 years since last conviction before an insurance company will employee you. There are so that are different, but you really have to look.

Self insured companies hold a bond for so much against an accident. They are the sole decision maker. So they have greater discretion on whom they hire.

As for the state as long as you are legally eligible to drive pass all testing they will issue you a license. Unless a judge has revoked/ suspended your license.

AZ CDL Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.