CDL Class "B" to Class "A"

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by al303, Oct 28, 2019.

1. al303

al303 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2019
    I have a current CDL class B w/airbrakes and no restrictions. I have around 4 years of commercial driving under my belt from a previous employer. I just passed my "Combination" written tests here in Illinois, and received my Class A CLP. I can rent a combination tractor/trailer for $70 per hour to practice and take my pre-trip, skills, and road test.

My question is, will my 4 years of driving a straight truck (local, regional, and some OTR), benefit me in anyway when I get my Class A, or will employers only look at years/time driving a class 8 tractor/trailer combination?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your employed time plus accounting for time going back a certain number of years I think either 7 or ten. It makes no difference what truck. Employers are more interested in you keeping one job for years than job hoppers.

That big trailer will change things up for you. But for all practical purposes, wont really affect how that tractor will behave loaded. Its still three axles all day.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your discipline will factor in when companies look at your job application.
    With many companies, the insurance company has influence as to insuring you.
    What type Class-A job do you want?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.