CDL / DOT # Required?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Truckin123, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Truckin123

Truckin123 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2018
    New guy here, question about a scenario I'm getting myself into. I run an online business, and part of it is giving away vehicles to our customers/members from time to time. We currently deliver these vehicles with a pickup and trailer, but looking for something more comfortable.

I'd like to purchase a class 8 sleeper straight truck (similar to the photo below) to haul these vehicles intrastate every couple of months. I'd also use this truck to go to events just for publicity for my company. We'd never use it to transport a vehicle for pay, or to transport a race vehicle to a race event or show.

1. Am I required to register it as a commercial vehicle, or can I title/register it as an RV under my business?
    2. If I register it as an RV under the business, am I exempt from needing a DOT number?
    3. If I register it as a commercial truck under the business but don't use it for hire (only for my own business transport needs), do I need a DOT #?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

15e531d8a4b9a4649fef6f6e7cf70ede.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rookievet13

rookievet13 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    Not sure about how to register or if you need a DOT# but was wondering how I could get one of those cars yall giveaway?

Aamcotrans and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes you will need to register it as a commercial vehicle fully comply with all the same regulations as any other trucking company except for operating authority. Just because your business isn't trucking per se, you are using a commercial vehicle to support that business making you a private fleet. This is a common misconception that because you are not hauling for-hire that you are exempt from regulations.

Depending on the state you are based out of for intrastate work they may have specific regulations that are different then the federal regulations but most states simply follow the federal rules. Most states require even intrastate only operations to obtain an US DOT number. All states will require vehicles with gross weight ratings greater than 26,001 pounds to have a cdl driver, and cdl drivers are required to be enrolled in a drug testing consortium. so the answer to if you need a cdl will depend on the gross vehicle weight rating of the specific vehicle you purchase.

LGarrison, W900AOwner, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Truckin123

Feb 23, 2018
    Awesome, thank you - that's exactly what I needed to know! I'm in NY and we're looking over 33k lbs, so we're definitely in CDL territory if we're using it for business purposes then.

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes, and in NY you will also need a NY HUT account for highway use tax. Also, if you get a truck with a body that meets their definition of a tow truck you will also need a W endorsement on your license, even in a non-cdl truck. NY may also make you obtain a NY DMV number as an auto transporter even for private fleet use.

Truckin123 Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No body gives away anything, particularly cars or similar.

I hate to be difficult. Ive owned a thousand cars, most of them pretty good. (Not a thousand, but it seeems like it.) We don't give them away. Although sometimes we sell for either a dollar getting a family back on feet just long enough for them to make just enough to replace it (And junk it...) We have heard that they are doing well. So that makes us happy.

But in our Society, noone just give away a car.

8. Truckin123

Feb 23, 2018
    Thanks for your opinion :D

9. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    I would be looking at somebody who does transport Autos already do your homework find somebody good you will be money ahead that way you don't have to worry about truck truck drivers Insurance cargo Insurance all that stuff

brian991219 and Truckin123 Thank this.
  10. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    There he goes again! Senseless rambling!

Truckin123 Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have to say it, for the amount of money you will spend on just the truck, the licensing and insuring it, and the maintaining it, it is a dumb idea.

Get someone local to haul for you, the costs are not as much as it would be to do it this way. There are car haulers all over the country who can transport two and three cars at a time, if you are a charity, then work a deal with them for a discount.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.