CDL one state to the other

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Iowa80, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    So you got the itch to get your CDL... You live in one state, but know by the end of the year, you'll be moving. Once you have our CDL, how difficult is it to test into another state? Is it one test?, several?, would I be better off just testing in the state I'm moving.

Wife might be changing some things around and I might have to go to CDL school sooner than Spring... Just wondering what might be more advantageous.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    It depends on the state your moving to. States like Illinois will make you redo the entire test from A to Z... written, backing, and driving test.

Indiana you just have to pay for a new drivers license.

Call whichever state you want to go to and they will tell you what has to be done

NavigatorWife and 86mechanic Thank this.
  4. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I got all the books and test prep and everything else... except for the kitchen sink... for Iowa... planned on going to school there.... But I live in Washington. If I have to move up the timeline, I'd be looking at Big Bend Community College.

Wife says if its going to be a pain... go to Iowa in the Spring. Study for that.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    While I agree it's best to check with the state you're moving to, I don't think your answer is entirely correct. The FMCA says that a CDL test in one state, is valid in another state (there's a number of posts about this on here). So save copies of your passing test.
    Example A: If I had a CA CLP and went to a school in TX, my test results would be sent to CA, I then have 30 days to return to CA and get my hard copy.
    Example B: If I have CA CDL and decide to move to TX. Texas will only require me to transfer my CDL to Texas by showing a valid CDL and medical card.
    Every state CAN add additional requirements such as IL because they want your money, but many do not.
    Example C: I have a CDL from any state and I move to CA, I take ALL the written tests over again, including auto, motorcycle along with all the truck tests. If I pass, I turn in my old CDL, show a valid medical card, and they issue the new CDL.

Bumper Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I held a Maryland since a class A days of the late 80's when I got married with the words I Do I also became a home owner once the lawyer hammered out a deed for the both of us.

It took 20 minutes at the revenuer (Equal to your DMV and also Taxation...) to burn through the written tests, airbrake, tanker, HM, Gen Knowledge etc et etc. And get a photo done and surrender Md License. Done and done. No road test needed because I was a actively working for a trucking company at that time. Never mind the idea that I was fired from one trucking company 2 weeks prior to marriage. Thats not exactly a good start here in Arkansas. Shows how much you are valued. (Zip, nyet, nada, nein, forgetboautit etc) Fees were 30 bucks.

I turned it in about the 2013 time period. If I got caught with DUI medicine I would lose the vehicle and face federal punishment under CDL. So a basic car license was useful then. Now that I am working towards leaving that part of medicine pending a important test it will be easy to reup to CDL with 50 in cash, written tests and a 18 wheeler and a full blood trucker in it plus a permit minimum of 15 days. But first things first on my end. Its no good to do all that if the heart surgeon pronounces something horrible after the Nov Test.

Anything is possible. But its easiest to have a full CDL A in your pocket with Valid DOT card and surrender the license to the new state within 30 days of moving there plus a utility bill in your name from that time period among other documents like Birth Certificate etc. (Your state archives can mail you a seal and copy of same, same as original)

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    In my case, had permit with endorsements from state A, took class in state B with that permit and completed training and road test.

School gave me sealed packet which I took to DMV back in state A, they issued CDL.
    They also dropped my motorcycle endorsement which I got them to restore by pestering on the phone. If you have an M, CDL offices are notorious for dropping them when issuing a CDL.

Later traded for CDL in state C with no issues.

As stated, IL and CA are tougher to transfer to, check with destination state DMV.

Main point is if you have permit in residence state you can train in most other states.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Call the Iowa DMV and ask.
    Other than Illinois, most states simply take your current cdl and give you a new cdl.
    If you have Hazmat endorsement, you have to do that over for the new state, but all other endorsements remain the same.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.