CDL permit

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by procharged392, Apr 18, 2019.

1. procharged392

procharged392 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2019
    I just got back from the DMV to do my general knowledge test. Can someone clarify if the airbrake test is mandatory for hot shotting? I just thought it was the general knowledge, skills and over the road. Maybe I misunderstood, but hoping someone can confirm.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I doubt it. The air brake test should only be for those driving equipment with air brakes. Semi trucks and trailers and most Penske trucks have air brakes.

Attached Files:

4. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    No it is not mandatory but you will have a restriction on your license just go ahead and get the air brake test and you can drive anything

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if you plan on staying hot shot, then you do not need the air-brakes.

however, someday you may want to "move up" to larger vehicles and if they have air-brakes, then you will need it.

but also be forewarned.....when you go for your DMV road test, and you took the air brake endorsement..??, you will need an air-brake vehicle at that time. otherwise it can be an instant failure.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. procharged392

Mar 7, 2019
    Thanks everyone for the response!

I was going for the Class A with restrictions. I’m only considering hotshotting. On my app, it’s written VP, WT/F, GK, A, AB. GK is checked off and passed.

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. procharged392

Mar 7, 2019
    Dang, per the DMV I need to take the written combination test. Wish they told me while I was there. Now another 3-4 hrs waiting at the DMV again.

8. Rokko 78

Rokko 78 Bobtail Member

May 13, 2019
    I passed the cdl written test and it was the general knowledge, pre trip and combination vehicles. I did not have to take air brakes..that is for 18 wheelers.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not necessarily.

UHaul in town gave me a 28 foot box with airbraking under my CDL A with airbraking as a rental about 5 years ago. You would be surprised.

It actually failed the DOT mandated airbrake check plus leak check failed as well as the buzzer being failed. Fail fail fail.

I turned the truck back in and told the man he needs to have that towed to a shop big enough to fix that problem and hand me a little van. I'll make do.

If you can dig up a airbrake vehicle for testing in towing a trailer at the 5th wheel then you might be golden. You never know when you need that to run some big stuff someday.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.