CDL ready, in school, may need third part tester help?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by darinmac38, Apr 10, 2019.

1. darinmac38

darinmac38 Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Im currently attending a school in NC and down to my last day to officially qualify to take the CDL. Yeah I know what you;re all gonna say, or think, but I assure you, you are wrong. I'm ready for the CDL tests and have been since about the eighth time I've been behind one of the schools trucks. I've been making one minor mistake here are there along their 45 minute route costing me an "X" in a box here or there and it's down to the wire. They will not let you take the CDL until your are officially signed off on a 9 and 10 speed truck. Here is the deal, I've been out on the road with every student in the class and can drive as good as any but perhaps two of them to this point. Even the best students in the class have had bad outings. There is another student who I would consider likely 2nd or 3rd in best driving abilities in this class and for whatever reasons, we are slipping between the cracks and our chances are fading away.

As for the CDL. I've taken the skills test, got a zero, perfect score, Easiest thing I've done in my life. I've passed the pre-inspection portions as well and am eligible to take the road test, (which I'll bet everything I own I'l easily pass the first time) There skills yard tests are second nature to me now and can pass them all with one arm tied behind my back.

Basically the school has two situations within it's program. An instructor who ain't gonna sign off on nobody and two trucks that are just not very forgiving and extremely difficult to adjust to. Now I've gotten the other trucks as well, but during my 45 minute run, I might miss one shift, or make one other minor mistake and they won't sign off until you've ran a perfect course or your are lucky enough to land a decent run, on a easier truck with a more lenient instructor. I've had none of that. I see students coming back in who really can't even shift the truck yet saying they've been qualified and two students who I know can drive as good as anyone in the class, yet to be qualified on any truck.

So my long winded post leads to this. Who, how and where can I find someone, or some entity to pay for a truck and schedule my CDL road skills test with? That is all I need to do to finish. Are there places that do? Any truckers want about $500 or so to meet for a test run and give me 45 minutes on your truck in NC? Has to be a manual and I'd like a half hour to familiarize myself with it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ironwindow

Ironwindow Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    Where are you at in NC? There's a handful of schools that do 3rd party testing for $500-700.

2 in Charlotte and 1 in the Lexington/Thomasville area.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are going to find that school a little bit too much starch

Many of us hit gears all day long properly. But it's not the end of the world to improvise when it's necessary to do so.

You can have a two speed or two million gears it's all the same, two RPM numbers, low side to shift down and high side to shift up. Easy peasy.

The states grow more grotesque in their requirements, if they keep going the way they do they are going to eliminate pretty much 90% of current drivers. Not everyone can run out and get a ATP on top of everything else. (//Snarky... ATP = AIrline transport pilot)

The schools will have to lighten up a little bit. This is not the Dragon Dojo against the Miagayi Clan.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.