CDL school graduate but no cdl

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by paccarmike, Oct 30, 2019.

1. paccarmike

paccarmike Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Washington
    So I graduated CDL school back in April but failed pretrip twice for the state test. I have 2 more opportunities with the school I went to but they can't exactly help me out with pretrip because they lack the instructors that can ditch the class for a couple of minutes to help out. How dumb would it be of me to just say screw it and go with a company school? I know the testers for them wont go easier on me than the testers I got months ago. That's absurd to think that. I don't know what to do. My problem is solely pretrip. I can drive pretty well for a newbie but pretrip I struggle when being graded. Any ideas? I have no kids but a wife and she doesn't want me to do it but it's something I want to do so I'm doing it. Swift is 1 year and I'm only thinking of them because they're about 40 miles away from my house.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd look at FFE (Frozen Food Express) in Lancaster. They have a good cdl school and about the same obligation as Swift.
    CDL Driving School - Frozen Food Express
    https://www.ffeinc.com/Drivers.aspx
    Frozen Food Express Industries, Inc. was first led to success by Cy Weller, a solutions-driven former attorney from San Antonio who was drafted into the Army. When he returned home from the Army in 1943,he found that he no longer had office space for his legal practice.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    paccarmike and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  4. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    How hard is the pre trip portion of the test... it's the easiest part... you point out parts and call them by name and say what you would be expecting it for... if bent broken leaking ect ect... I'm sure there are tons of videos on u tube that will guide you threw it....

If your unable to pass a cdl test... you didnt realy graduate...

And how do you know the driving portion you got down? You have to pass the pretrip portion to move onto the other portions. If you never passed the pretrip you never taken the backing maneuvers and driving portions yet...

And April? 6 months ago you finished school..

I'm just saying it doesn't sound like your motivated what so ever. I'd look into something your actually interested in doing...
    If you even 50% interested in driving with a cdl you of had it 6 months ago.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    ACO476, Bean Jr. and tscottme Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Labatt Food Service - Dallas, TX - Commissioned Driver Helper
    • Paid Training to acquire your Class A Permit or CDL!
    • Home Every Night and Weekends
    • Click here -> Apply On Company Site
    Candidates are welcome to fill out an application online or in-house. For an in-house application, please visit us at the Dallas Labatt Office located at 650 Regal Row, Dallas, TX 75247, Monday - Friday from 8:45 am - 3:00 pm. Must have have a desire to become a Route Driver. Must bring a valid Class C driver’s license and proof of eligibility to work in the United States.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sygma Network - Driver Trainee
    Click -> Apply On Company Site
    For a minimum of 30-60 days you will assist drivers in unloading of product at customer locations and be evaluated to go to a certified truck school to obtain your Commercial Drivers License.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    paccarmike Thanks this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Pretrip was the hardest for most people I've known, of course most of those have been driving stuff with trailers and gears other than PRNDL since they were 14 at least. Around here you show up the first time around and fail that and then they give you a cheat sheet with the proper names of what's what, just to keep you humble.

11. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    The pretrip isn't that bad. Hell I told the guy that I would check to make sure the headlights weren't bent. He laughed his ### off and said hed never seen a bent headlight but its a good thing to look for. He could tell I was nervous and was just trying to lighten the mood. I mentioned the belts and hoses 4 times, he said "Dude, we got the belts and hoses" I was like ok good.

Just relax man, it's a truck not a dead body.

That being said I was wondering what kind of CDL school would have you graduate without getting your CDL. The fact is you did not graduate. You must pass all 3 sections before you can get your CDL and you didn't so you're someone who took a CDL school and failed the pretrip. You're not a graduate. No more than a college student who keeps failing ECON 201. You're not a college grad until you complete all required coursework.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.