CDL School or Company Paid training...Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DAustin29, May 3, 2018.

1. DAustin29

DAustin29 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    Hello, this is my first post, so thanks in advance guys. I have been researching and considering getting my CDL and changing careers after 20 years of doing the same thing. My kids are grown and gone, no wife, so nothing holding me down.
    I have read through many threads here, and have seen alot of great advice. I have a couple of questions myself. I feel I'm pretty fortunate in Memphis, as we have driving schools as well as several terminals locally. My friend, who drives trucks, says having a terminal in town is a huge bonus.
    We have Drive Train and Roadmaster schools within 10 miles of me, as well as terminals for Swift, Schneider, Werner, J&J, Perimeter, Ozark, Prime....etc etc etc. Plenty around here.

My question, school or company? Swift or Schneider or ???? I'm basically preapproved according to the Swift recruiter, and I'm going to Roadmaster today to speak with someone in person and see the school.
    Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roadmaster is owned by Werner, so be prepared for high pressure sales technique to sign up for a "Dollar General" account.
    You can do better than any of those companies you mentioned. Attend a private school that's 160 hrs. then sign up with a good outfit the school probably hasn't even heard of.
    Freymiller - www.drive4freymiller.com
    Butler Transport - www.driveforbutler.com
    Navajo Express - terminal in Jackson,TN
    Magnum Ltd.
    Tyson Foods
    are a few of them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Freymiller has designed a Finishing Program for new CDL holders to get you the road experience needed to become a successful solo driver!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Butler Transport -
    RECENT GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS
    • Class A CDL
    • 21 years of age
    • No at fault accidents in the last 3 years

4. DAustin29

DAustin29 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. I was a milkman in the past and had more than a dozen Dollar Generals on my route. I will pass on that Werner oppurtunity, lol. I understand the first year will be tough, and I will have to work my way towards an OTR/long distance route. I know Schneider uses Drive Train here and not Roadmaster. The unlimited options I am finding are very overwhelming, and quite frankly a deterrent. I will need financing as I do not have the funds up front, which is why I was leaning towards a company paid program. Getting a foot in the door is just a start. I know other opportunities will be available after I get some hours under my belt.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If you can go to a 160 hr school without having to be bound to a company, do that. Give yourself as many options as possible. Shout out to a fellow Memphian!

6. DAustin29

DAustin29 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    My buddy said the same thing. I'll go today and listen to what they say at Roadmaster. I haven't seen many other options as far as school and financing available. I can't tell if I need a permit first, or do you get that at the school. Recruiter at Swift said you can do either. And hello fellow Memphian!

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    What's good brother? Go Grizzlies lol, but yeah, I got my CDL in Murfreesboro TN. I got the permit before I enrolled. I even took advantage of the $4000 financial aid. They don't talk about it much in Memphis, but in Murfreesboro, the lady at the school told me about it. It delayed me about a month, but it beat having to come out of pocket for the entire tuition. She told me to talk to the career center and they'll tell me exactly what I needed to do to get the grant. I only had to come out of pocket $1900 roughly. See if the career center can help you out with a grant.

8. DAustin29

DAustin29 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    Yea, I don't have that $1900 up front. I'm 44, kids are married and doing their own thing, so I want to start something new. As much as I see a private school is the better option, I'm thinking a company paid training deal is my only option right now. I'll just have to suck it up and do the year thing, which is fine by me. I d9nt have to be home every night, if at all, so I am open to just about anything.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Company paid training:
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com
    Carter Express
    Jim Palmer Trucking
    Roehl Transport
    Celadon
    Western Dairy Transport - www.wdtmilk.com
    R. E. West - Lebanon,TN - no contract to sign.
    Stevens Transport
    KLLM
    Prime Inc.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  10. DAustin29

DAustin29 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    Thank you sir. Roadmaster was a bust, i dont have that kind of credit to finance. My options now are for company paid training, and i prefer a local company, as i cannot afford out of town expenses. Even with Roehl.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What out-of-town expenses are you meaning? The trucking company schools pay for your room and meals.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.