CDL School or Company Paid training...Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DAustin29, May 3, 2018.

1. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Well you've come to the right place to get a wealth of info, and hear alot of hogwash as well, that aside this question gets asked quite alot by new up coming drivers my answer is this you have the 2 options like you've said, going the company sponsored way is the cheaper option however like a lease purchase program their going to pretty much own your butt, till your debt is paid back it pretty much means you'll work for them for next to nothing and they can treat you any way they want, cause if you leave guess what? you"ll still owe them the money. Read the fine print very carefully and then read it again, then get someone else to read it again, you'll discover there is a clause in there that don't allow you to leave and get away with paying them back, unless you quit like during orientation cause there is a 10 day cooling off period under contract law again its all in the fine print. The other option which i'd seriously go for, is paying for your own schooling this way your free to go where you want with no contractual obligations choose who you'll go to work for and owe no one nothing and be free to earn all the money you've worked for and keep it. Unfortunately most don't have the $5000 spare for the tuition fees and are forced to do the company sponsored training which the major transport companies exploit quite regularly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DAustin29

DAustin29 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    I havent found any where meals are included. Maybe ive looked at the wrong ones. Either way, from what ive read, the first company is a foot in the door. It seems i can do that locally.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you want to stay local, go food service. McLane Food Service and Sygma Network hire drivers with only a cdl permit and put them in a truck with an experienced driver as a "Driver Trainee."
    All those other companies I listed provide meals & lodging plus transportation to get to the school.
    Here's an example & all the others are similar:
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com
    Company-paid Tuition
    With a 12-month commitment to drive for CFI, qualified students can now receive fully paid tuition to attend driving school in Missouri. We’ll even cover your room and board for the duration of the four-week course.

5. DAustin29

DAustin29 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    I only want to stay local for the training. I literally do not have a dime to my name, or a vehicle. Food Service is definitely out. I have too many friends that drive for Sysco, Maines, McLane, etc. Thats worst than the "Dollar General" option. Lol

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Chinatown has a plethora of options, but I will say, brother, if you're focused on staying local for training, you've gotta shake that. Look at this as a precursor to what it's going to be like once you get out here. CFI seems on point with the room and board, plus the school would probably take 3 weeks to a month. That's training for otr and being away from home for extended periods.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. DAustin29

DAustin29 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    Im looking into those options. Trust me, i understand what its like staying away from home. I dont think yall are hearing me when i say i dont have a penny to my name at the moment. Ill need something for laundry, drinks, etc. Being away isnt the issue here.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Since that's your situation, you need to broaden your horizons. Other drivers in your situation made it work, as difficult as it was.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most companies will give you a little pay advance until your first paycheck. Take enough clean clothes to last a week and you'll be ok. Take some microwave foods, such as Ramen Noodles; the school, terminal, truckstops have microwave ovens that are free to use.

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You don't have to pay the 1900 upfront. They'll let you pay it back once you get a job.

11. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Knight has a terminal in Olive Branch, MS. They built a school on the grounds there. Give them a call.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.