CDL school or sign contract?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by GreenHusker, Oct 18, 2019.

1. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Definitely pay for your own school. Theres a govt program you might qualify for that pays for cdl, through the unemployment office usually. The schools would be able to point you to it. Many companies offer a student loan bonus... mine is 100 bucks a month. Look at more than one school if possible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    There was a guy in my cdl class that was a landscaper and had experience driving some sort of small truck towing a trailer with their equipment. He was by far the king of backing in the class. You will definitely have a leg up on most of your classmates right out of the gate in this regard --- and backing is one of the biggest challenges for new drivers.

tscottme and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    OP which do you feel more comfortable doing? Go with what's best for you. Sometimes company paid is good, other times going to a school that you pay for is good. Either way, you got get your foot in the door. You've got options, all you gotta do is evaluate and make an informed decision

5. GreenHusker

GreenHusker Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Gretna

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You could grab a tiny trailer say a 14 foot vs a rental vehicle for a day and solve the backing problem yourself. But its not the best solution.

What you do do is going into walmart and buy a childs toy tractor trailer. Go home to your kitchen table. Work out the relationship of your tractor trailer's steer tires with your hand against the obj of docking the trailer between two lines on paper. You will learn many lessons before you touch a semi.

Wheel this way, trailer does this. Wheel that way, trailer undoes that and if you wait long enough will begin to do the opposite.

Reduced to nothing it's literally wheel on and wheel off and follow trailer in. Done.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  7. Doublea120

Doublea120 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Chicago
    Honestly why spend money you dont need to?contracts should only be 1 year and you will be learning that entire year I'd say find a training company your comfortable with call them up ask your questions and save your 5k make them pay not you

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    OP, next time specify to keep responses to 1000 words or less.

9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Pay your way, get your CDL free and clear.

If it were me, I'd research the community college program, and if it has a good rep, go for it.

I went to CDL school years ago. One of my classmates was a tiny slip of a girl who never even drove a stick in a car.

She was horrible at first, but mastered it through sheer force of her will........

You still out here on the road, "Crazy Julie"?.........

dwells40 and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Gretna; between Omaha and Lincoln. That's a good location for a dozen or so jobs.
    I gave you a couple of names for OTR. Magnum is especially good.
    Here's some more that will hire you from that community college program:
    Martin Bros. Distribution
    Butler Transport
    Keim TS
    Dot Transportation - www.drivefordot.com
    Meyer Logistics
    Kold Trans - www.koldtrans.com
    Archer Daniels Midland Company

homeskillet Thanks this.
  11. Ian2175

Ian2175 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Go to the community college. I wouldn’t recommend signing any kind of contract with an employer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.