CDL School starts on Monday!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by texasbbqbest, Feb 20, 2015.

1. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well there hasn't been too much to report in last few days. Just trying to keep it between the lines!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Got to learn about tires today during class! We went to a shop and replaced a few drive tires on the truck. My instructor told us they have to replace a couple tires every few months or so because they get worn down by training.

We also got paid a visit by a recruiter from Melton Truck Lines which is a flatbed company out of Tulsa. I might consider them. He seemed to tell us what I had heard from people I've talked to about Melton, so that's good. They mostly stay Mid-West and East.

I don't know if I'd like flatbed or if I'd even be able to do it. Everyone I talk to says it's a PITA, but I've also heard people say it's very rewarding to look at your load and know you've strapped it correctly and neatly (and I kinda like that).

Any of you have personal experience with flatbed or Melton in particular?

4. demi

demi Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    Don't know much about Melton, like you, I have heard mostly good. I liked flatbed, especially oversize stuff. You won't know unless you try... but, I would rather see you go van for a year, learn a bit first.

5. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Okay thanks.

Have you seen many big (fat) guys successful at flatbed?

Is it difficult to do if you aren't fit or is it mostly about technique?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Bluntly stating. It's truck driving, All walks of life do this job. I'm still surprised and very impressed by a very tall skinny white gentleman in a suit throwing down scrap at the scrap yard trying to avoid the mud hole dumping his Micro coils. Bad day for a Office Interview, His Shoes/Socks/Pants did not survive and he wasn't very bright. Could of just released the material 30 feet before the mud hole. :biggrin_2559:

Summary: FAT OLD SKINNY Mentally Handicap Etc etc etc... can do these jobs, Work smarter not harder is the name of the game my friend :yes2557:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  7. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oh I forgot to update you guys on the YRC hiring event:

Well, I'll be honest. I didn't go! I still applied for the job though.

The event was on a Saturday and I went out with some friends on Friday night and got WAAAYYY too hammered. I didn't intend to get wasted, but you know how that goes...

Man oh man that hangover sucked!!!!

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    I was fed the same 8% when I started. Has to be Company wide not terminal numbers. Sure as heck it was the truth. Gloating a bit, Never seen so many retirements in the few years here.

* Hiring guy is the Terminal Manager pushes the paperwork through to HR. HR/TM dictates who gets off Probation to make a living wage. AKA Union Pay scale.

texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  9. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, I might hear back from them here next week or the following week if I'm hired or not.

I do know that ABF has checked my references, so that's a good thing. At least they're looking!

Shaggy Thanks this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Prepare for many Email exchanges with HR and TM. Past Employer/Criminal/Driving and close enough dates to match the findings. It takes a while. Expect a month. Still not hired, Probation. Not sure of your area, Here it was 90 Working days to receive notice of being hired.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Somethings are best left off the Internet. No useful information was provided, Live and learn.

If a 3 way happened FFM. It's always courtesy to show pictures and disregard my text above.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.