CDL School student looking for recommendations for companies to apply to

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VinceBlack, Nov 29, 2021.

1. VinceBlack

VinceBlack Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    I'm gonna tag @Chinatown right off the bat LOL!

Here are the quick facts:
    • Looking to go reefer
    • main focus is a company with great training that is heavily focused on safety (I want a strong foundation for a long, safe career)
    • Domicile address will be in FL (as well as my CDL etc) but I'm effectively homeless at the end of the year as my lease ends and I'm not renewing it. I'm just planning on taking home time at hotels/airbnb's or if need be my family lives off of I-80 and near I-81 in central PA so getting there shouldn't be hard.
    • Looking to stay somewhere for about 12 months to get a good grasp on driving safely in most conditions.
    • OTR Solo running all 48 states (I've mostly only ever been on the east coast between the triangle formed by I-75, I-95, I-80 and would like to see the rest of the country)

The two main companies I'm considering are Stevens and Prime Inc.

Originally I was focused on Prime as I'd like to lease a truck with them once I feel comfortable enough with the driving aspect (feel free to pile on the "fleece" comments but that's not what this thread is about). It seems to me like they have a nice training program considering it's 30-40k miles and I'd like to end up there anyways. The downsides are the 62mph limit (although I'm not really concerned with that, I just know people will comment about it) and my main concern: getting stuck in a lightweight truck. I know you get paid extra to be in a lightweight, but since I'm planning on living in the truck I really, really, don't think I would be willing to lose the storage cabinets. Since I plan on ending up here after a year I think it would be beneficial to be with Prime for the first year to learn their freight lanes before leasing. Other big advantage is my family lives less than an hour from the Pittston terminal.

I read about Stevens on here, specifically @Wasted Thyme's journey (somewhat similar to mine, homeless in FL lol) and their training/mentor program sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'd also be in a full sized sleeper and although it's not important, the black trucks looks awesome. My main concern with Steven's though is that every single YouTuber I've looked up that was at Steven's left them within months saying they gave them miles for the first 2-3 months and then cut them back big time. I'm not super concerned with pay for my first year, but I also don't want to be starved out either. I'm an extremely fast learner, ultra-reliable/dependable, and I'm a hard worker. I rarely have problems getting along with anyone so I'm sure I'll do well with my Dispatcher etc. but it's somewhat concerning that I've seen 10+ people all saying the same things. To be fair, as far as I can tell most of those drivers switched over to Stevens' Alliance Lease program which I have no interest in, I would only want to be a company driver at Stevens.

Anyways, just looking for feedback on Stevens vs Prime for my situation as well as recommendations for any other companies I should look into. I'm going to start filling out applications this weekend.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I listed a few in your other thread; I'll repost the refrigerated ones here.
    ~
    Home - Leonards
    [​IMG]

TxFLdino57 and VinceBlack Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Company Driver Trucking Jobs | Crete Carrier
    Shaffer Trucking Accepts Qualified Student Drivers Who Have Successfully Completed Schooling at an Approved School.
    Starting Pay Ranges from $.64-$.70 Per Mile for OTR Drivers
    [​IMG]

TxFLdino57 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    TxFLdino57 and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @TravR1 started his trucking career with FFE Transportation and is now with Shaffer Trucking. He can give you the facts on both companies.
    ~
    These drivers probably interested also:
    @StankinJankin
    @TxFLdino57

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Does Prime, Inc hire students from FL? FL is a bit of a blackhole in trucking Many companies don't hire drivers from the state. I do believe Prime has a procedure for students to get a permit from the state Prime trains students, so it might be easier than normal to switch your driver's license if you go to Prime.

I'd say Prime has one of the most thorough training programs. It's certainly among the longest of any mega-fleet. I have a bias against reefer frieght for myself, but they could be a good match for you. If you go to Prime do not drink alcohol in the hotel they provide. I seem to remember the company won't tolerate that. Maybe I'm wrong. Good luck to you wherever you go.

VinceBlack Thanks this.
  10. VinceBlack

VinceBlack Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    Thanks for the input @tscottme. Prime hires from FL now and I don't drink or anything, just coffee so I should be good there.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.