CDL Schools Around Miami - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by LateNightCable, May 11, 2018.

1. LateNightCable

LateNightCable Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Hello all, I’d like to find a reputable place in the Miami area to get my CDL, but even the schools with great Google ratings have some very damning reviews.

Do any recent graduates of Miami area CDL schools have some recommendations that I might check out when I’m up there next month? Or just Florida in general. The more affordable and organized the better. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7seriestv

7seriestv Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2016
    I see a school in opa locka I don't know how it is or the cost, I see it when I go to american fruit.
    12707 NW 42nd Ave, Opa-locka, FL 33054

LateNightCable Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your domicile?
    Call some companies you're interested in and ask if they hire where you live, then ask if they hire from the cdl school you plan to attend.
    Pick a school that's 160 hrs. or choose 2 or 3 that are 160 hours, then start making phone calls to companies and ask those questions; "Do you hire new cdl grads that live where I do?" and "Do you hire new cdl grads from XYZ CDL School?"
    if you live in Miami or further South,you're choices are limited as to companies that hire new cdl grads.
    Freymiller
    TransAm
    CRST
    Stevens Transport
    Vero Logistics
    Transport America

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't overthink the Google ratings. As long as you can just get a CDL is the main issue. The real training starts at your first company. Most high quality companies have an extensive training program for new cdl grads because they're putting you in a $150,000.00 + piece of their equipment, so they want their equipment and also you, the new cdl grad, protected and safe.
    Here's just one example of those I listed & this company reimburses cdl school tuition back to you:
    Freymiller
    upload_2018-5-12_6-39-22.jpeg [​IMG]
    Freymiller has designed a Finishing Program for new CDL holders to get you the road experience needed to become a successful solo driver!

Our exceptional finishing program will pair you with an experienced, certified trainer who will prepare you with the skills that you will require to become a safe and experienced driver with a great future at Freymiller!

Contact us today at www.drive4freymiller.com for all the details on how easy we make it to start a profitable driving career at Freymiller

Finishing Program Offers New CDL Holders:

• $450 per week pay while training
      • Paid 3 day orientation
      • 8 week training for recent graduates
      • Tuition reimbursement for recent CDL school graduates
    Requirements
      • At least 23 years of age
      • Class “A” CDL
      • No more than 3 employers in previous 12 months
      • Meet our requirements for accidents & violations in past 5 years
      • Refrigerated experience a plus

6. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Transport America is a great company !!!!
    Vero logistics has allways intrigued me ...

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. LateNightCable

Feb 16, 2018
    I live in the lower Florida Keys, about as far south as you can get, but I’m not attached.

I know Google reviews aren’t everything, but when fifty reviews say a place is excellent, and ten say you have to fight for seat time, it’s cause for concern.

How important really is a 160 hour course versus a CDL mill? I hear both that it doesn’t matter professionally because a license is a license, and also that your qualification is second class without those hours. The good company training that comes after has me thinking the former.

I haven’t looked up Freymiller yet, thanks for the tip.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most companies require 160 hr. school and some want 140 or 120 or any length.

9. Skytz33

Skytz33 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I’m in the Fort Lauderdale area as well and looking for a school as well. I just want to get the 160 hours in so that I can get to my company and get the real training. I see Metro trucking by the FLL airport, I have to call them today and then a recommendedschool in Miami that also has a branch in Lake Worth. I have been told that the cost will be around 2900.00

10. LateNightCable

Feb 16, 2018
    $2,900 for the 160 hr. course. Is that The CDL School in Lake Worth, with other locations in Miami and New York? If so, that is on my list as well.

My current front runner for school choice has been The Tampa Truck Driving School. Kind of mid-pack regarding pricing - 4,500 up front, or 5,500 with financing and they work with over 20 carriers for pre-hiring. They mentioned Stevens and Covenant, but I’m still learning who *all* of the carriers are that they deal with.

The main drawback is I’m nowhere near Tampa, so can’t really pop in to pay them a visit.

11. Ultra Wagon

Ultra Wagon Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2017
    South Fla.
    Sheridan Technical college, 320 hours. About $2200 for Florida residents. Yes, the school is long. But well worth the time investment if you can manage it. You’ll drive a variety of trucks and get at least 1000 miles behind the wheel during school. You can practically buy a cdl at some of those quick n dirty schools, but I doubt you’ll learn much. Best of luck to you.

LateNightCable Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.