CDL Schools

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bryan21384, Apr 11, 2018.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Question, I don't need a CDL training, been in the game a while.....I have a protege that I took under my wing....he got his CDL at a place called CDL express (Houston, TX). Does anybody have any info on them? Has anybody gone through them or know someone who has? This young man can't get a job because he doesn't have a certificate of completion. I got a feeling they took his money. It seems like a refresher class, and not only that, they test in mostly automatics so he has a restriction on his license a

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    Research the School thru their State of Origin Permits Office or Local County permits office.
    (This is the first step)

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Puppage Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've never been asked for a certificate of completion. I'm pretty sure most of us haven't. It basically boils down to can he drive.
    But then. I guess since he has no actual company experience.

I"m not seeing why a certificate would be needed as long as he has a license.

He's probably going to be serverely limited in job prospects with no experience and even worse with auto's only.

BTW. There are tons of express schools in the country. See them all over the place in Cali. I bet every student of these schools is having a problem getting a job.

I know a company up north. Tanker company. Apparently there's a school up there also. All his drivers come from the school. I have no idea what he has for insurance though. It's really not a pretty company hiring all rookies fresh out of school. Pulling tankers.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That's exactly right. I haven't been asked for the certificate either but I had to tell them where I went to school. They had to verify and make sure it was accredited. This guy only had 5 hrs of training and didn't even train in an actual semi. You're right baout a couple of things. The lack of experience and the automatic restriction is killing him. He's never even been in actual semi.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I didn't know that.

I know the express's in Cali. Was mostly bobtail. But there was a trailer. And it did get used for backing skills.
    I have no idea how thorough them schools are though. I just see students out there occasionally with vehicles moving.

I guess it would be worth it if the cost was cheap enough. Sooner or later they're bound to find someone willing to give them a chance.

8. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I had no idea about these schools. I lived in Murfreesboro, TN before I moved to Memphis. Murfreesboro had two truck driving school, both thousands of dollars each. I went to Truck Driver Institute there. In Memphis, they have Swift and Werner training schools, and a vocational one. I'm thinking those express schools may be good if you're trying to do local work. He wanta to work for Panther or FedEx driving a straight as an OO. FedEx wants drivers that have unrestricted CDLs

snowwy Thanks this.
  9. Ohio_tractor

Ohio_tractor Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Is CRST a good school to go to?

10. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I can't say for myself because I didn't go to that school. I can say they're a starting place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.