CDL test with a horse trailer ???

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Haulinhooves, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Haulinhooves

Haulinhooves Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Los Angeles California
    I am taking my flatbed truck and 6horse gooseneck trailer to take my California CDL driving test . I’ve already passed the written . What should I expect ? Has anyone else done this which a horse trailer ? Would I be able to do it in my 3 horse gooseneck ?
    Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's a combination vehicle with a 5th wheel. That is the one differentation between say a Class B Dump truck and a Class A Combination. Weights are ignored for the Class rule.

Now if you hooked a Beaver trailer with a paver or something on it to the pintle hook on the back of that Dump truck, then you are a restricted A. (Don't forget the airbrakes)

That would be the biggest problem. Does your Flatbed truck and gooseneck trailer combination vehicle have airbrakes? If not? you will probably get a airbrake restriction on that CDL A.

The second problem is does the "Tractor" vehicle have a manual transmission? If not you will get a restriction against your license saying autos only.

LoneRanger, Haulinhooves and COBB2070 Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    They won't accept it.

5. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    This is what you want to worry about with that combo in CA.
    • A combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
    If you meet that requirement with either trailer, you'll be good.

Haulinhooves Thanks this.
  6. Haulinhooves

Jun 25, 2019
    Los Angeles California
    Automatic . No airbrakes. This is the set up I usually haul with however I figured I’d take the test with my flatbed because it’s way easier to back.

Attached Files:

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  7. Haulinhooves

Jun 25, 2019
    Los Angeles California
    Darn , even if it’s over 10,000?

8. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    I personally would say take the bigger trailer. Just because it would easily make the requirements. But if you know, really know the GVWR of the smaller one and can prove it, take it. It would be easier in the controls course. Good luck.

Haulinhooves Thanks this.
  9. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    As long as the CGVWR is over 26,001lbs and the trailer GVWR is 10,000 or more they will.

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Are you trying to get a CDL you can use for driving 18 wheelers? If so you need a truck and trailer that meet the commercial vehicle definition and also have air brakes. If you take the test without air brakes you get a license that is restricted from use on vehicles with air brakes.

If your just getting the CDL to pull your own trailers, not having air brakes isn't important. You can upgrade later just by re-testing in a vehicle/trailer with air brakes.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    As long as it’s a 5th wheel, air brakes and 10k weight or more it is fine.

The tractor has to be a class 8

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.