CDL Training School or Company Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DameJ.M3, Mar 22, 2019.

1. DameJ.M3

DameJ.M3 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2019
    So first a little background. If you don't find the background necessary or relevant then just skip to the next paragraph. I recently turned 21 and have been considering obtaining my CDL for the past 4 years. Living in Connecticut there doesn't seem to be a lot of options as for schools or companies that provide training. I am 100% sure that in the end I would like a career in moving fuel. I am more than capable of obtaining my CLP and passing the endorsements. I just need a school or company to teach me how to drive the truck. If I absolutely have to then I have no problem leaving CT in order to receive proper training.

Since I live in Connecticut it would appear that my options are rather limited to finding proper training to get my CDL. If anyone has any information that can point me in the right direction to starting this new career I would greatly appreciate it. So far I have talked to N.E.T.T.T.S. where I was informed even if I attend the school with my CLP already acquired it will cost my roughly $14,000. That is a bit more than I would like to spend so I am open to anything better than that.

Also I have looked into a few companies that I would take trip out to for their training. unfortunately you have to be at least 23 or 25 for those. Is it possible for me to persuade them into giving me a chance? ( I don't expect anyone to have a real answer to this. I know I am pretty sure it is for insurance purposes.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Reason for edit: Add more information
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Since you know what you want to do, haul fuel, start with the Connecticut based fuel haulers and ask them if they can sponsor you. They may even have in-house programs. Go down by the oil terminal in Bridgeport and ask around among the drivers, they could point you to the right company, maybe even the right person.

If you had posted this at the beginning of the winter I would have suggested home heating or propane companies. They pay well and are usually very desperate for route drivers. In my area, Pennsylvania, most are paying $20+ per hour for students, while they are trained in-house. Experienced delivery drivers are making $25-30 per hour with all the overtime you can legally do in winter and 40 hours guaranteed in summer.

True, it is only a class B license, but it is a start, and there is nothing wrong with being a class B vocational driver. I have many friends with only a B that have supported their families well for the last 20+ years. Besides, fuel hauling is mostly local route work even in tractor trailers, and the pay is not much different from a bobtail (local straight truck) to a trailer.

Here in PA I can think of two companies off the top of my head offering in-house free training for route delivery drivers, Heller's Gas and Combined Energy Services. Combined also has NY offices and comes right to the edge of the NY/CT line, they may be an option for you. In the fall they were offering free class A or B licenses in exchange for working the winter season. I am sure some CT based oil & propane companies are doing the same.

4. Ironwindow

Ironwindow Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    I have a friend who is going through NETTS right now. They are a 5 month school from what I understand. The benefit to this is you actually learn something and get some experience. They had financial aid for him, I don't know what kind of financial aid but it might be worth talking to a representative.

Another option is come down to North Carolina and go through a 4 week school for $3500. You won't learn much but it will get you a NC CDL!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Superior-Carriers is a good tanker outfit that hires 21 year old new cdl graduates in Connecticut.
    This company hires from different parts of the state.
    Click here for more information > Apply On Company Site
    Superior Carriers - Official Site
    https://superior-carriers.com
    Minimum age is 21
    Entry Level Drivers and New CDL School Graduates
    Must be at least 21 years of age.
    Provide a Completion Certificate And Class Transcript from an approved CDL training school.
    Train at your assigned terminal.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CFI - www.cfidrive.com is a dry van company that offers cdl school to 21 year old students. Sometimes they send you to school in Joplin, Missouri or may send you to a private cdl school in CT.
    Company-paid Tuition
    With a 12-month commitment to drive for CFI, qualified students can now receive fully paid tuition to attend driving school in Missouri. We’ll even cover your room and board for the duration of the four-week course.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jim Palmer Trucking (refrigerated) and Wilson Logistics (dry van), Wil-Trans (refrigerated) all 3 hire 21 year old students. May send you to Springfield, MO or Missoula, Montana for cdl school. Meals & lodging provided.
    All 3 companies are owned by the same man:
    [​IMG]

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Puppage - your opinion? Any advice for the Connecticut new driver?

9. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Depends on where in CT you’re located. Allstate is great one on one training. NETTS is a horror show from what I’ve seen an heard.

10. DameJ.M3

DameJ.M3 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Thank you for all the replies. Im located in Windsor, CT its in the center Northern part of Connecticut. I will look into Allstate. One on one training is more what I was looking for. I will also check out the companies listed. As for NETTTS I spoke with a recruiter and that was the price discussed with me. I was informed that at this time in the year there is no more financial aid available and I would have to wait until fall to see if I am eligible.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    $14K is way too much money for tuition.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.