cdl with a horse trailer

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Haulinhooves, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Haulinhooves

Haulinhooves Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Los Angeles California
    Can anyone help me? I took my cdl test in a 3500 flatbed with a 4 horse trailer 55' long . Total weight 25,368.
    I passed my walk around but failed my skills test for parallel parking to my passenger side. What a pain in the ### that is. They measured the length of my rig and added 5ft to the box. Is that even allowed ? I practiced in a box the size of my rig +15ft. Can anyone help me? My next skills test is in a week. I've tried to find a cone layout from the California DMV to get the proper dimensions of the parallel parking but have not had any luck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Plus 15 feet is a GENEROUS AMOUNT OF ROOM!
    What part of it are you having difficulty with?
    Did you ask the examiner for help after you failed?
    If you don't have a professional driver there to help you, try watching some YouTube videos, then go practice and practice more until it seems super easy.
    More shocking is they will let you do your skills test is a tiny vehicle that weighs nothing...scary!!!

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I can probably get that thing into a box plus 5 feet. It will work your steering box.

In parallel you forget about the tractor. Think of the trailer as a car with a grotesquely huge steering wheel in the front axle.

Park the box and you should be able to clean up the tractor and tuck it in to be done.

I am concerned you took the test in a small rig. This is something best taken in a proper tractor trailer so you have your knowledge, airbrakes and so on among other things. That license will allow you to drive anything on the earth except motorcycles, unless you have a Class specific license for that too.

5. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Watch "How To Blindside Parallel Park a Tractor Trailer" on YouTube

Haulinhooves Thanks this.
  6. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Yall do realize she took the test in the vehicle type she plans on driving right? Why would she need air brakes or the ability to maneuver a 80ft vehicle?

jammer910Z and Haulinhooves Thank this.
  7. Haulinhooves

Jun 25, 2019
    Los Angeles California
    I forgot to mention the truck i am working with is a long bed. The distance from my ball to end of truck is 4 foot in itself. The turning radius on my truck is terrible . i have no problem getting my trailer into the box, its getting the truck to squeeze in with the small amount of room.

8. Haulinhooves

Jun 25, 2019
    Los Angeles California
    this exactly how i practiced . i was able to get into a spot with 10 extra feet no problem , its just when they did +5ft i wasn't able to get my truck to follow around.

9. Haulinhooves

Jun 25, 2019
    Los Angeles California
    yep. I have restrictions on my class a . No airbrakes.

10. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Can you do it if you take out a couple of cones? The points for that shouldnt fail you

11. Haulinhooves

Jun 25, 2019
    Los Angeles California
    I hit the cone with my blind side. automatic fail.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.