Cell phone use

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Lazer, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I am wondering how the rest of you all feel about using your personal cell phone, that you purchased, that you pay the monthly bill for, that your employer treats as if that phone of yours is an extension of the company?
    Has anyone here told their company as of now my cell phone is off, or company numbers are blocked, or I just dont have my phone with me today? What reaction would your employer/dispatcher have?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Not a bad question. My company also expects us to watch weekly safety videos (use data), answer their calls, use data for transflo app, and now return calls to safety for “safety quiz” which requires playing phone tag and is a real pain in the ###. I’ve been wondering if it would be better to not have a cell. The answer is no.

4. Snotrockettt

Snotrockettt Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2017
    I get reimbursed $75 a month for my cell bill.

Same at my last job.

Paddlewagon and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    some of our drivers use their own. I had them give me a phone. flip phone ,but it's their dime.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I told my last company I lost my cellphone and I got to stopbcalling in my trailer info when loaded . Before that they provided cellphones. Pilot Flying J pays part of uour cellphone bill so they can have you use your phone for biz communication.

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I told Crete that my phone was off limits, they didn't like it...I said compensate me some every month for using it, and we can use it for business...otherwise message me and I will look for a payphone. They were like a spoiled child, they didn't like the word "no".

8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Our city drivers are compensated for their phones. Highway drivers are not. My cell is my only form of communication with company and I have a scheduled run so rarely get any messages, phone call is unheard of.

9. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    If you only need a bare bones plan for your personal use, I'd ask for compensation. I have an unlimited data plan with unlimited calls and text, all for personal purposes, so it's no skin off my butt.

10. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I get $20 reimbursement.. not much, but when I think of the hassle of carrying the 2nd phone they USED to supply for company use that seldom ever rang, or having to use customer phones, or the long lines at phone banks in truck stops in the 80s, or having to stop just for a check call...

PIzz-on-it !! I'll take the $20 and keep on hammer down.

I send about 5 emails a month, and make maybe 30 phone calls.

11. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    All good points, but now with qualcomm, peoplenet, kronos, smartlogix, etc., why do companies feel they need to be dependent on your phone. especially when there is no re-imbursement? they can look anytime see where the truck is, how many bills have been deliverd, whats left on the truck, have I taken my 30 min break, how many hours I have left for the day, etc., etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.