Central and N. Florida Heavy Haul Companies: Need Some Suggestions Plz!

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Mudguppy, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    I am currently (for the past 7+ years) working for a local N. FL. company exclusively hauling OSOW loads. I haul multiple loads a day (usually haul less than 150 miles or so) up to 12' wide, 90' long, and up to 160,00 lbs. gross. I have experience with up to 15' wide, 16' high, and 175k gross. I just found out that my boss decided to hire an Equip. Op. off the street at the same pay it took me almost 8 years to earn (since I'm local, I get paid hourly) pulling that same equip. into and out of some of the most ungodly goat trail roads and jobsites. When I questioned the owner he replied "I feel I'm paying fair market wages. If you aren't happy, you're free to go elsewhere."

Well, this is just the straw that broke this camels back. After killing myself slinging 1/2" chains and binders multiple times a day for years with no accidents and no tickets (except one OW at scale that was just over on one axle) to verbally slap me in the face like this was too much. Not to mention paying a guy to sit in the A/C and drag sticks around the woods the same pay?!?!

I'm wondering if any of y'all might have some ideas in the central or north of FL where I can take my considerable skills and be treated decently. I've had it good being local (home with the missus every night) but if need be, I would consider OTR again. As is, we do have jobs all over the SE from time to time, so have been west to Texas/OK, North to SC/NC and even a stint in NY after hurricane Sandy. I just need to find a place that appreciates me a bit more, and pays me what my experience and skills are worth. Just a note- I currently work 65-75 hours a week, so not afraid of working hard.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. morlandoemtp

morlandoemtp Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    New York
    I would say depending on how much you make you are between a rock and a hard place, do you know of any competitors in your area to your boss? If it was me personally I would just slow down my work and give him a hard time on safety stuff. Also if you decide to quit, don't outright quit say you are going on vacation or taking a leave of absence.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  4. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    What about rhinaldo out of Jacksonville. They pull abunch of RGN stuff out of the port up to Il and out to TX. You also have BullDog they pull heavy out of Savanaha

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    It sounds as though you're job is the "necessary evil" to get the equipment to the job site for the equipment operator to be able to do his thing. In other words, the equipment operator is the one making the boss his money, and everything about your job moving that equipment is an expense. Right now, he views having you drive his truck to move his equipment as less of an expense with less potential hassles than he might experience hiring an outside company to move that equipment for him.

Supply and demand also plays a role. Bottom line, you are just a truck driver. If you won't do the job, he's pretty sure he can find somebody else to fill that seat. Equipment operators aren't as plentiful...you don't have mega-corporations spitting out thousands of new equipment operators every year as they do in the CDL mills.

If you like your job, stay there. If not, quit & go elsewhere. If money is the sticking point, talk to the boss about a possible raise...just remember that he can always contract out the job you do if it starts digging too deep into his pockets to keep a driver in his own truck.

The other option would be to get certified to operate the machinery. That way you could find a job on an equipment operator's pay scale rather than a truck driver's pay scale.

TripleSix and Mudguppy Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If it were me, and I had been doing that job for 8 years, I would have had to learn to be the equipment operator. Anything to pad the resume'.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  7. Mudguppy

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Thanks for the replies, esp. Pedigreed Bulldog. You see, that's the funny (ironic, NOT humorous!) thing- NONE of our ops are certified in jack! They are just good ol' boys looking for work, who can operate a specific piece of equipment! (some can operate several different ones- i.e. excavator, dozer, etc.) and some only one or two (like the new guy-he only runs a Skidder pulling logs around the woods....)
    I on the other hand, not only can run every piece of equipment he owns, but am also responsible for loading/unloading it, cleaning it off to be road worthy (no rocks, wood blowing off down the road), chaining/unchaining, and then when they are stuck in a spot every once in awhile, I will fill in running whatever needs run for the day! So not only can I do all of their jobs and have, but there's only two of us that haul equipment and they know that they don't have to worry about us killing someone, or whether their expensive equipment will get there safely or not.
    You see, the owner is basing his "market rate" statement on what a local steering wheel holder would make- and at that none of them make what I do....However, I'm most definitely NOT just that, so my pay is understandably higher. But for all that I do, it's really not worth it. If not the real possibility of dying of boredom I would consider just becoming an equipment op.....But that's not me.....

As for the other suggestions....Talked to a few Rinaudo guys- heard both good and bad but may check them out. Haven't looked into Bulldog but will. I guess I've just been spoiled a little sleeping in my own bed most nights. Ah well, I guess all good things must end eventually....

Keep the ideas coming folks! And thanks!

8. Mudguppy

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Also, to add......I make considerably more than the equipment operators.....Until they hired this new guy, and he asked another op why he had so much taxes out of his check and showed him his pay stub.....THAT op was "over" him, and found out he was making 3$ less than the new guy!

Understandably he made sure to let everyone else know what was going on.....:biggrin_25523:

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I got hired in to a company with a large amount of experience and have a hourly rate that was fair for that amount.

The company a few weeks back hired some clown who is making more than I am.

My response to it?

Who cares because I really don't.

As long as I get paid, do my job, have happy clients - he can make three times as much as far as I'm concern.

10. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

Sounds to me your chains are too small,,I use only 1/2 and 5/8..Don't worry the rookies will either have a load fall off or find out the work is too hard,

11. baby

baby Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Charleston, WV
    you never know. be grateful for what you have and ask God to put you where He wants you to be. maybe that guy has a handicapped person or an elderly parent or some extraordinary expense and getting paid more was n answer to His prayer. pray that your boss will treat you ALL fairly and trust GOD to see that HE does. God bless you. Good luck!

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.