Central Refrigerated Truck Stop II

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by celticwolf, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Just so you know... You go lease, I don't think they would take you back as company... I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doulos

Doulos Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    The state of Confusion
    That is my exact concern and wanted specifics on. (Turbo isn't under warrantee?) I'll be on the hook for those costs no matter what if I lease and leasing now or later won't change whether I decide to go with a longer lease. The concern is the cushion. I can deal with some diversity and I can deal with a negative week or two here and there. Constancy of income isn't a concern, average income is.

4. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Yeah, the turbo is most likely covered... But it was an engine part I could name... Intake care of the inside of the truck, my husband the outside... The point is the same though...

I do wish you luck no matter what you decide... And if you have specific questions, we will try to answer them.

5. Klingon

Klingon Heavy Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    My first DM I fired!

He kept me running around Texas while my wife was setting in a hotel in WVC for two weeks after she upgraded.
    Our next DM was running our butts off pretty good till we went lease. Then we were doing good to get 3k miles a week.

We are on a Deadicated loop now running just under 5k miles a week and we are home one day a week...

6. 1badz28

1badz28 Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2008
    savannah georgia
    Doulos there is one thing everyone has not mentioned. The lease dept and the dispatchers do not communicate they are septet set depts inside of central ref. the lease dept wants you to lease that's how they make their money and justify their jobs. They will tell you what you wanna hear to get you to sign on the line. And the dispatchers are no better than used car car salesmen they will flat out lie to you. This is just not central that does this but the majority of the big train here lease here company's. I to would suggest to run company for a while to see if trucking is for you. If you lease and decide after 6 months the lifestyle is not for you your still on the hook for the lease and they will sue you to get their money. I've seen it too many times. These company's do not give a rats behind about any one of you. All you are is a seat warmer till someone else comes along. And they come along by the bus loafs every week we all were one of them once. And if anyone of you feel that you are the exception and the co thinks your the greatest thing since sliced bread your fooling yourself. It's all about the co. And their bottom line. And like I said its not just central it's all of the big co's. you are now free to make your own decision. Just remember what comes after " I'm telling you" and that's " I told ya so "

Arkansas Frost Thanks this.
  7. Arkansas Frost

Arkansas Frost Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2012
    North Little Rock, AR
    Doulos, forgot to mention this. Make sure you get something out of it if you do go the lease route. An older truck (read, "shorter commitment") means higher maintenance. I would want a maintenance acct with money already in it. APU's are suppose to be possible but you apparently have to stamp your feet a lot harder than I did. I got my truck with 75,000 miles on it when I signed. The cool part was I put about 50K on as a company driver so there was not much mystery on how well the truck would run for me. A few gremlins but no major breaks so far, knock on wood. My number one reason for waiting if I was able to go back and do so is to get the systems, routines, and procedures down before jumping into the deep end. (I really like that analogy, cuz that's how it feels at first) You also get the chance to establish a relationship with your DM, who you will stay with as long as they're not in charge of a short route area like IL. I ran that region for a few months and did great as a company driver but it gave me a false sense of security and I'll be playing damage control when I come back next week so I can get on track for a profitable year. No one is saying you CANNOT handle leasing. There are just a whole lot of benefits to waiting. Plus if you really are a good driver you can get on one of the dedicated fleets inside of six months and make money that's comparable to an o/o and focus on what's important, a safe and successful first year!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    Lady K Thanks this.
  8. Diner Man

Diner Man Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Orem, UT
    Doulos - to throw in my 2 cents...I too was debating on going lease as soon as possible - I ran hard during training, good reviews from both trng dept and otr trainer - all the good stuff was there. I had also run my own business before and could handle the business end, and the prospect of larger checks that come with the risks was something to take into account. However, as much as I wanted to run hard and had talked with my dm and such, I was willing buy my dispatched miles were not. I sat more than ran, had a 54 hr wait during my 3rd week and that's when I started making some noise. Finally after 2 months from upgrading, miles are better and my dm (not my original) is intent on making sure I run...which is nice. Even had a load from Twin Falls, ID to Great Falls, MT and then DH back to Twin Falls, ID for next load - don't know if that is normal with little freight coming out of MT, but a 500 mile DH was interesting. Bottom line, I'm glad I waited...and am still waiting to make sure. However, each person is different so good luck in whichever way you decide.

9. allchevys11

allchevys11 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2010
    patterson ca
    everyone has made a good point on why to and not to lease but why do you wanna lease so bad rather than be a company driver cause all you are is a glorified company driver. I run hard as a company driver i make just as much if not more as some lease drivers as a company driver with no headaches. I dont sit well havent yet. But why do you wanna lease so bad

10. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I thought about it when I was with Central too. But when they told me that I had to still have a speed limiter, horse power limiter and had to use their shops I decided it was still their truck, not mine and that was not going to fly with me. Worked out for the better because I dont know anyone who leased a T 2000 that didnt have major problems with it. YMMV, good luck with your decision.

11. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

That is one thing we have NOT done... Let their shops work on 'our' truck. We have taken it to TA's and Dealers, but not to a terminal... Except for Qualcomm work. We also figured out early on that the money we had been putting aside in the company sponsored maintenance account, we could only access (when getting maintenance done) through OTRM with a charge of $20!! HELLO??? That's MY money and you are charging me to use it?? That changed REAL quick... Now we only have enough in there for tires (it does safe $$ to use their National Account) and to cover static costs for any down time (for a two week period). Using it to cover down time doesn't cost us, and for the tires, the savings by using the 'National Account' absorbs the $20 fee, but still makes it worth it. Another 'service' we at first tried, then fired was ATBS. I have done our household books for years, and I was a Treasurer for a state wide association... My husband has been a contractor (but not in trucking) for over 15 years... So we know business (true not trucking) taxes... At the end of the year we finally contact them (they never contacted us) and asked them about the tax paperwork etc... He started spouting off numbers and amounts, then asking US if they sounded right... HELLO?? That's what we are paying YOU for!! Yeah, we were NOT impressed!!

Arkansas Frost and Bumper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.