Central Refrigerated Truck Stop II

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by celticwolf, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Train

Ice Train Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harkers Island NC
    I've never had trouble with the bunk heater not keeping up, just close the big curtain between the sleeper and the cab. It's easier to heat the smaller space plus all the glass up front just lets the heat out. At temps as low as you guys are talking about DEF freezes and fuel gels so its best to idle some just to keep everything in liquid form. My DEF tank froze solid back in jan at crshen when the temp was around zero overnight. The shop guys did a forced regen and by the time that was done everything was thawed out but it was still a pain in the rear.

Arkansas Frost Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ice Train

Jan 17, 2013
    Harkers Island NC
    Also the idle % is the amount of time that your engine was running that the truck wasn't rolling. Ex. Your engine run a total of 10 hrs you drive for 5 hrs your idle% will be roughly 45 to 50%. The computer gives you a little idle time for warm up and cool down but it's only a minute or so. This being said , you can somewhat counter act the idle % by driving for long periods of time with no stopping. IE. keep the left door closed and the wheels rolling. Also cut the truck off every time you stop for anything other than traffic signals. Those few min idling while you run in to get a scale ticket or to 10-100 at the rest area add up quick.

4. passion4polishing

passion4polishing Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I always close the sleeper curtain, but if its <15 it might only keep it 60° or less. I'm fine for sleeping down to about 45°, but I'm extremely sluggish getting out of bed. 15° is where I usually draw the line and set the opti idle at 60°. With single digits motors don't like to start, batteries get weak (heat is a catalyst), def can freeze, and fuel in lines and filters could gel. Any one of those would be a nightmare in the morning.

But who cares? It's spring dernit!

5. Ice Train

Jan 17, 2013
    Harkers Island NC
    supposed to be spring! LoL. I never have figured out why central don't spec the peterbilt trucks with the ICON or some idle control system. None of the Pete's that I've had had it.

6. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Almost home on a Thursday evening, don't have to leave again until Saturday morning... Get to do this weekly... And no DH miles... Yeah, I like the way she moved the run around a little bit!! Not a WHOLE lot more time, but two nights in MY bed!! YES!!

7. Aaron Stewart

Aaron Stewart Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Bakersfield, CA
    I'm aware what the idle % is, I was just curious how bad it'd hurt me running it overnight. Luckly I havnt used it at all until these couple nights so I bed a few nights of idling won't hurt my 20%.

When I was on my trainers truck he had it where it'd start itself up every so often, how do I set that up?

8. passion4polishing

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    What kind of truck do you have? Cascadia you put it in high range and turn cc on, prostar you have to do something weird like put it in and out of gear and something else I can't remember. Regardless there should be a label somewhere in the truck telling you how.

9. passion4polishing

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Running 4500 miles a week and home 2 nights? what a sweet gig!

10. passion4polishing

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    When I went in to lease they tried to get me in a freightliner with no opti idle. I said no way. As much as I hate to idle, when it's necessary I'd much rather cycle, because I can't sleep listening to my profit burning.

Arkansas Frost and PSUMoose Thank this.
  11. Ice Train

Jan 17, 2013
    Harkers Island NC
    i know that's right. A 430 hp heat and A/C unit can be expensive to operate.

passion4polishing Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.