Central Refrigerated Truck Stop III

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Lady K, Feb 19, 2014.

1. clayshot

clayshot Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2013
    near Philly, Pa.
    This may be an option. They asked me if I'd be willing to go recover a truck if the opportunity presented it self. Of course that was before Swift took over.
    I can tell you from experience, try to stick it out for 6 months. I left when swift took over with less than 2 months under my belt. Not much better off. Looks like I'll be able to skip school, but I'll have to go out with a trainer again.

I have had crazy thoughts of going back. OMG, did I just say that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    Depending on how long you'd have to be with a trainer. I wouldn't be able to do it personally. I did my time. A couple days I could understand. But not a month.

4. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Yeah... This is a rough time for trainees I'm sure... Especially as the trainers are trying to learn the system at the same time! Financially, I would (if you can) stick it out, but definitely make some noise! Training dept, rapid response, anyone who will listen... Politely!! Remind them of the financial burden siting and waiting is for you... Go talk to them DAILY! Reminding them you are still there wanting to stick it out... Same type of thing when you are out on the road... Be firm but polite in letting them know your needs. At least it worked with Central, and when talking to Swift personnel they have all been helpful. They just can't read your mind and needs, you have to let them know... And realize they have rules that they have to follow too, so things might not alway happen the way you want/expect them to.

5. Doulos

Doulos Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    The state of Confusion
    Okay, this may not be popular and it is certainly premature for a final decision, but I don't think Swift is all that bad. Sure, everyone is still getting used to things and some kinks need to be worked out. That doesn't suprise me. However, with that said, I see things moving in the right direction. Things are and will continue to be different than before, but they were't exactly perfect before either. All of the transitional things seem like they will work out though. My only real worry now is what their permanent/long term plans are. The new L/O contract will probably tell a lot, once its revealed.

6. Doulos

Oct 26, 2012
    The state of Confusion
    My first trainee let me know that he doesn't think trucking is for him. He didn't know trucking was a 24 hour job and he'd have to work at night and early mornings and that there would be so much responsibility. He thought you'd just drive for like 8 hours a day. And, he doesn't like the money. I asked if he was making less than he was told. The answer was "no." He may be right, trucking isn't for him. Too bad though, he is a decent technical driver. His decision making could use some work though.

Arkansas Frost and smadronia Thank this.
  7. TwiZtedFateZ

TwiZtedFateZ Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Waretown, NJ
    Thank you for all the input. I guess they got tired of me frequenting the training office. I met my trainer today and I am heading out on the road tomorrow. If anyone would like to give me any tips for my new career, all responses will be greatly appreciated. Hope to meet some of you out on the highways/pit stops.

smadronia Thanks this.
  8. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Congrats! You've survived a Greyhound bus trip, now if you can survive 28 days living in a closet with somebody you just met, then you can make it. Set goals for yourself and don't give up. In the next few weeks, you will want to quit several times, but stick it out.

Lady K, TwiZtedFateZ and smadronia Thank this.
  9. Doulos

Oct 26, 2012
    The state of Confusion
    My best advice at this point is to observe everything, work hard and ask questions. You will get out of your training what you put into it. No one can make you learn. In fact, for the most part Trainers can't even train. What they can do, is keep you safe while you train yourself. Remember, you are only trained when you can do it all on your own. So, a trainer showing you isn't really training, only hands on repetition can do that.

TwiZtedFateZ Thanks this.
  10. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    A lot depends on the trainer and what he sees that you are capable of. There are the good and the bad. I can only speak regarding the Swift trainers. Keep one thing in mind. A lot of what we might have learned long ago we might not have used in a long time so we might forget to teach it unless a situation comes up where we remember. Like comchecks, I had to write one the other day and could not remember the Macro for the money and had to call in and ask. Some trainers will see that you can handle it and after maybe 1 week, they just might start to let you handle every thing so that you will remember. The biggest thing to remember, if not sure, ASK. I am not sure as far as Central, but with Swift, if you are having problems with your mentor, you are told to call in and talk about it. Keep in mind, it is a two way street, he said, he said

TwiZtedFateZ Thanks this.
  11. TwiZtedFateZ

TwiZtedFateZ Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Waretown, NJ
    Thank you for the advice...now as for your picture....which one is the love of your life? :biggrin_25525: LoL....j/k

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.