Central Refrigerated Truck Stop

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jjranch, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    Sometimes you do. :biggrin_2552:

BTW: I have refused loads when I could not deliver them on time because of hours. Central is OK with that..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Don't think time was an issue but whatever it will sort itself out.

4. road runner 9630

road runner 9630 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I to have refused loads. And because I just did not want them. I am still at central. Just don't make it a habit. Fire worthy, I don't think so. Damaging to your reputation, definitely. As a company driver you are technically not allowed to refuse anything. But when it comes to home time, be polite and explain that you live in the opposite direction and you are supposed to be going home. Good luck and hang in there. One last word of caution. Don't fall for the lease department trap of "lease and we can get you more miles" big big lie. Never happen.

Lady K and trkrswyf Thank this.
  5. leatherman

leatherman Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Still here in iowa just looked at my routing from central and the gps both route me through the middle of nowhere for several hundred miles to shorten the trip..those small two lane hwys slow u down u go through towns they twist and turn have intersections r n poor shape no rest areas or truck stops and if u break down u r up a creek trying to get someone to get u because there is nothing near hence the phrase middle of no whererei route myself in these cases to the main hwys for safety reasons I make good time at 60 mph no slowing down for small towns and speeding tickets if I need a break or help I am going to have more luck on the interstate I have never had central ask me why I wasn't on the chosen route

6. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    As long as you can make your fuel stops and don't go too far out of route you won't be questioned.. If you aren't a company driver it's your fuel, again the don't care..

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i haul a lot from missoula montana to boise idaho. it's 450 miles of absolutely NOTHING through the mountains. 15 hours

the fastest way would be to stay on the freeway through pocatello. but that's 650 miles. 11 hours.

i hate that trip. but now that it's winter. them mountains are CLOSED.

8. smadronia

smadronia Heavy Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    Wally is an interesting guy. There's one very, very important tip I cannot stress enough about asking Wally for help:

Do not screw up if you've asked Wally for help.

Short of a blizzard with white out conditions shutting down your load, or your truck breaking down and having to be towed, do not screw up. Don't sleep in. Don't forget to factor in traffic. Don't forget to turn the reefer on after you've been loaded with ice cream. Don't run over another car.

Don't screw up. Wally has the memory of an elephant.

He was our fleet manager for a year, and during that year my co-driver and I ran harder than we did under any other dm. It was probably the best year, because I never had to wait for a load, I never had to beg for a drop, and I seldom used the qualcomm. I just called him up 3 times a week for orders, and we ran like crazy.

Have I mentioned, if you ask Wally for help, don't screw up?

9. smadronia

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    I've refused loads before, even as a company driver. 90% of the time it was because the load was going the wrong way to get me home.

9% of the time it was because the load was 500 miles, 3 days, and no drop.

1% it was the load I got robbed on, and I would explicitly state I'd do any load but that one.

Don't make a habit out of it, and have a reasonably explanation, and generally they will pull the load. And, as a solo, sometimes you have to tell them "Hey, I don't have the hours to do that." which is okay, it's not refusing a load.

I've never heard of anyone getting fired for refusing a load. I've never heard of anyone getting fired for refusing multiple loads. But, I have heard of drivers who've sat for days on end because they refused too many loads. Most of them were sitting in Denver refusing meat loads from Kansas.

10. smadronia

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    I second Celticwolf, make your fuel stops and don't go too far out of route, and they'll leave you alone. Or, do what I do: get to the nearest interstate, get a ways down it, and then request routing, if I haven't fuelled yet.

Works great when you're in PA and they want to route you up the back roads to the 80 and across. They're not bad roads, but I hate taking the 80, so I go down to Carlisle and request routing, and then I'm fine. I talked to fuel about it, they said if the route is shorter, or more direct, you can take it, as long as you don't mess up your routing.

11. smadronia

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    If he sat for 3 days, he might be eligable for layover pay. Tell him to macro 54 to his DM and tell him he needs 3 days of layover pay. Why did he sit for 3 days without saying something?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.