Central Refrigerated Truck Stop

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jjranch, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlumFCrazy

PlumFCrazy Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Fayetteville,NC
    After taxes and expenses...what can both drivers make in a week...I am talking husband / wife team....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    You should discuss that with LadyK and Klingon, but if you expect to make $100k to $150k net starting out you need to set your expectations lower or you will be counted amongst the disgruntled.

Lady K Thanks this.
  4. PlumFCrazy

Dec 13, 2011
    Fayetteville,NC
    Would like to make 80k at least between the both of us.....if not mite not be worth going to Central.....

5. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    You missed my point. Expecting 80k NET from any company starting out is expecting too much.

6. PlumFCrazy

Dec 13, 2011
    Fayetteville,NC
    I am a experienced driver (20 years) so I am not new to the game.....they are advertising a driver trainer making 47k a year....now I know going in that is BS...not first rodeo....hell I know what they say and what you make is not true....but I dont want to go and make 40k and split that with my wife....I just want to know as a L/O what to expect with this company.....as a team....

You know everybody wants to make as much as they can.....I am not working with a friend...so all the money coming to the truck is coming in under one roof! I am looking for a RANGE....like 40k to 80k....and after a year....does it go up stuff like that....

7. smadronia

smadronia Heavy Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    Get a new dm. if he's promising you drops, and I'm guessing this is over the phone, but he's not following through, then get a new dm. He's either figured out he can promise you things and not follow through, or he's bad about following through with things. Either way, time for someone else.

8. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

GET IT IN WRITTING.. Even if it's your own writing... Reply back on the QC "per our phone conversation... Confirming (-------------)" that way it's 'in writing'... CYA :biggrin_25523:

smadronia Thanks this.
  9. smadronia

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    Don't count on it.

I've seen your other posts, where you have experience. Does your wife? If so, you're better off going to another company. If she doesn't have experience, she's going to have to go to Central's school, and she's going to have to go out with a trainer, they won't let you train her.

To give you an idea of how much you'll make, the website lists drivers with 0-3 months experience as getting $.88 per mile, plus surcharge. You'll be considered a new driver, according to their website, which says: "Months of experience is determined by consecutive Owner Operator months with Central."

Do the math based on a 4000 mile week. Don't expect you're going to get 5000+miles with Central every week, all the time. Freight slows down from January through April, even if you're on a dedicated fleet. I ran team with them for 4.5 years, and we never averaged 4000 miles per week.

Here's the breakdown of what you'll see in a week. I'm using general numbers, and I don't work in their office, so this isn't a promise, just my basic math.
    So, basing on a 4000 mile week, your mileage income will be $3520.

Central's big about boasting their drivers pay a maximum of $1.20 per gallon for fuel. Assuming you run 80% loaded, and get 7 miles per gallon, you'll get surcharge on about 460 gallons. That's about $552 you'll pay in fuel per week.

So, after fuel, you'll see $2968.

I can't tell you how much truck payments and everything are, but I remember Jess saying at one point that it was $900 a week for the payment, insurance, Qualcomm rental, accelerated payment, maintenance, and all that. So, I'm using $900 as a weekly cost for all the Central branded expenses, counting truck payment.

That's $2068. So far. Then there's taxes. I have no idea how much you're going to need to take out, I know a lot of stuff is write off. I'll use 25% as a guess. So that's $517 a week.

That leaves you splitting $1551 a week. I'm no rent op expert, so you might see the 2000 a week, I don't know how the taxes work, so that's something you'll need to ask the lease op department.

Now, you can multiple the $1551 per week by the 52 weeks in the year, and you'll net the 80k you asked about. But, and you probably know this, going home or taking time off will eat into it.

Have you called Central to see if they'll even hire you? They waffle between not hiring experienced drivers, and only hiring them if they will lease, so you need to see which phase they're in. And, if you lease on, don't ever expect to own your truck.

PlumFCrazy Thanks this.
  10. smadronia

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    It can go either way. It's cheaper for most companies to retain the employees or customers they already have.

But also keep in mind with Central, they get money from the government for training drivers, and they get a portion of the cost to train each driver. Schooling is $3000, $1500 if you serve out your year, but a large percentage of people don't finish, so Central gets that as income.

Putting someone in a truck new means they get paid less than more experienced drivers, and often don't get as many miles. So they save money there.

On the flip side to saving money, many newbies have accidents, which costs the company money. So which is better? I don't know what Central has decided.

11. About Time

About Time Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Sacramento,CA
    Carl knows about it. My dm told him. I spoke with Carl and my dm. My DM said he blew it. Was in a hurry only read part of the message and answer " yes" to the window on the p/ u part. My question included window on the 99.

I don't know that it was intentional or not. But, he knows that I learned to cover my butt. We're working better together and I'm getting some good loads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.