Central Refrigerated Truck Stop

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jjranch, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasper_truck86

jasper_truck86 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the insight 1bad. Be safe out there!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    By 1BadZ28
    William, if you don't mind, I will take your statement one step farther:

If you decide to do this, promise yourself that you will stick it out at least six months. After that, things become MUCH easier and more pleasant. This is because you will get to know the different scale houses, the different shippers, and the different recievers.

It is AMAZING to me how much easier it becomes when you start hitting the same places a few times. It's so much easier when you can say, "Oh, sure! The Walmart DC in Loveland. I remember how to get there, and where to park and who to talk to."

Just promise yourself you will stick it out for the first six months, because after that it is MUCH easier!

4. Bootlegger66

Bootlegger66 Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Vista, California
    I haven't read to see if there is an outcome to this, but.... this is why I couldn't be a trainer. Bodies keep for awhile in the dry desert sand. I would have claimed you got scared, said you were quitting and left, then gotten a load to Florida and fed you to the gators. :biggrin_255: Whatever bits are left decompose better in the swamp.

Good luck. Rember to think twice about what you are about to do. If that doesn't work, try three times.

5. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    Yeah.. The first six months were pretty hard for us as well.. Its just me and the ole lady out here.. We have a few bills.. No kids or house.. We just stay where ever on home time... After six months.. Your dms comfrontable with you..

You should atleast be able to drag in around 2300-2500.. That's about 400 a week with your 100 dollar draw. I'm seriously thinking about leasing.. All I have to loose is a cell phone.. Plus the kw I'm in now.. Only has 1 year even left on its lease.. So even if I make 400 bucks a week.. Ill be making it..

Bout the only thing I'm lookin to do.. Is maybe train one person.. Just to say I taught that guy that just ran into the scale house... LOL!!! Seriously tho.. Does anyone think I could atleast make it a year as l/o? It should only take me bout 1000 a month to live on.

6. Drive-a-Mack

Drive-a-Mack Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Eugene, OR via Lincoln, NE
    ..i would run at least 18 months b4 u try any lease & if i did the only one i would try it with right now would be JCT; in this economy why lease when freight is so unpredictable & you can't count on a set weekly income?... I would wait at least another year b4 i got myself into a company lease plus the fact you'll have additional tax issues to deal with; you're just asking for more headaches to try something like that now.. personally I don't think anyone without a minimum of 3yrs OTR should be doing any company lease but that's just my opinion for whatever it's worth.. :biggrin_25513:

Jmurman Thanks this.
  7. newtruckerwidow

newtruckerwidow Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    1bad is still sitting in SC product was late getting there and now something wrong with the codes on the turkey. No way he will make it to WI by Friday morning now. Oh well nothing we can do about this one.

Been a long cold day here so I am turning in early. Be safe out there ya'll and stop if it's blowin to hard!

Jess, I see you lurking you ain't gonna chime in tonight?!? :biggrin_25522:

8. LADYANDTHETRAMP

LADYANDTHETRAMP Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Congratulations Widow on the interview. Hope you get the job. Everyone please be careful sitting here watching the weather and It doesn't look good for any one. Being from Michigan I should be used to the weather...But I hate snow. Just waiting to get my degree then I am out of here. With the Auto Industry taking the hit it did there are NO jobs here. I am just thankful for all the extensions on unemployment.

9. Iceman87

Iceman87 Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Haven't been on in a while. I've been driving for Central for, what, 3 months now? They're not too bad. The miles are decent. I'm averaging about 2000-2800 a week. Personally, I would NEVER EVER EVER do a company lease. ESPECIALLY NOT with Central. Why pay $850/wk (OR MORE) when you could finance a used truck and pay $1000 a month? Also, Central's mileage pay for L/O just is NOT high enough. Hell, Swift pay's their L/O's $.10 MORE per mile. But that's just my two cents.
    As far as the above quote...I have a trick for this. Don't go tellin' everybody now...but it works. If your truck is equipped with TAS or ICON then, in cold weather, turn on the ICON and then flip the key to the "OFF" position. That puts it into Battery Maintenance Mode. Then you can run your bunk heater all you want and the truck will pretty much run all night (when it gets below 20) and, since the key is off, it won't show up as idle time. Now, you do have to watch your fuel because if it starts dropping like crazy they'll realize something is up. Also, I was told if it gets below 10...they WANT you to run the truck non-stop and "won't charge you." I'm skeptical about EVERYTHING they tell me so I'll stick with my trick. Now to think of something to do for warm weather.
    Until next time, stay safe, run hard, earn money.

biermann58 Thanks this.
  10. biermann58

biermann58 Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Amboy, WA
    Iceman,
    Thanks for the tip. We started about the same time, but you went through CA. Did we pick the wrong winter to start? With your name you must be eating it up...lol.
    Seriously, I finally thought I outran the stuff. Started up in WA down through UT, WY, NE down to SW MO, but it persists! Now I am supposed to run to AL, will it go away? They must have fixed that Global warming thing last month.
    Seriously, you are correct. It isn't that bad, but be realistic about your expectations and don't be afraid of hard work. Every day you have to plan, adjust and plan some more plus drive and deliver.

11. KoolKid

KoolKid Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Arkansas
    Hey drivers... Just wanted to say hi to everyone... Im going to be starting with Central this upcoming weekend 01/11/10.. I already have a CDL but im still going to their school... I have not really heard any horrible stories from Central... Every company has good and bad.... especially from different drivers opinions. Everytime i hear something bad, i do give the benefit of the doubt to the driver if it sounds right.. but hey, theres always two sides to everything.. But anyway i hope everyone is doing well out there.. I cant wait to leave myself. Be safe out there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.