Certifying after surgery

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by astright, Jun 9, 2017.

1. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Last year I had cardiac bypass surgery. My sternum never healed back together. One side of my chest goes in a different direction than the other. I have found that the FMCSA allows certification "3 months after (bypass), to allow the sternal incision to heal........" what I haven't found or gotten an answer to (I've contacted FMCSA 5 different times and even tried calling J.J.Keller), what if the sternal incision didn't heal and I still have movement on both sides? Can anyone help give me an answer or suggest a way I can get an official answer? Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What does your Dr say?? They have to release you.

4. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    The immediate preceding post is correct.

ExOTR Thanks this.
  5. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    My thoracic surgeon says I can go ahead and go back to work that I'm healed and they won't go back in and fix the sternum so that it's stable. I don't know if they know anything about Federal DOT regulations and the movement is quite disturbing and sometimes causes some momentary disabling pain. There's a 1/2" gap from one side of the sternum to the other. In the right circumstances, I can feel my heart beat through the sternum. (I'm sorry if it sounds a little disgusting. :eek: )

Thanks for an answer. What do you think?

6. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    You should probably see a doctor with a specialty in occupational medicine to see first if you can pass a DOT physical. Passing the physical is what you need to do.

7. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Thanks. I probably can pass but that's a good suggestion. I'll do that.

One of my concerns is when I sneeze......., if I don't hug my arms in front of me, there's kinda like a ripping down that area between the sternum halves. It's like I'm just waiting for my chest to fly open. :sad3:

8. Klleetrucking

Klleetrucking Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2010
    S.C.
    WOW!
    FWIW, I had bypass surgery, 90 days later, release from my cardiologist and back to work after a new DOT physical. Sounds like you might have a serious issue going on, I'd consider a second opinion.

peterbilt_2005 and astright Thank this.
  9. astright

astright Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Yeah, that's why I'm so concerned and don't want to take the risk. 90 days, huh? They kept me in the hospital for 30 days, didn't give me PT until 45 days after that and made no improvements from 1st PT day to last. Went to a different cardiologist because I wasn't getting better and he was yelling at me that I had to see my endocrinologist before he'd do anything for me. Now, with all this time, my sternum keeps separating a little more and a little more. Last time I saw the thoracic surgeon was 6 months ago and there was no gap between sides like now. (To me, it's scary as hell.) I guess it serves me right for smoking.

10. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    More than likely the certified dot medical examiner is gonna want copies of medical records on surgery and a letter from your dr. Releasing you to go back to work....just to cover his butt being certified dot exam giver.

astright Thanks this.
  11. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Consider this. What if, god forbid, you have an accident, or even a hard braking event, on the road? Seatbelt pressure across your sternum could very well kill you???
    Maybe look into an "offroad" driving job, such as yard dog, etc....

astright Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.