CFI a Con-way

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Dorothy and towtow, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Dorothy and towtow

Dorothy and towtow Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Shreveport La
    CFI a Con-way Company

I Just found this site and was looking over all the post's about cfi. and I don’t see it?

As a con-way truckload driver from the start up (it was only started in 2005) looking at all the things we had to give up to cfi (management) in this merger I feel that it was all one sided we lost everything that made CON-WAY TRUCKLOAD a good place to work..
    6500 + miles a week layover after 24hr's motel pay if we set over 8 hrs terminal to terminal drop and hook runs. 1.5 day's off for 7 day's out the day you went home and the day you left home didn’t count as off days so (3 week's out got you about 6 day's off)... I don’t think bad of cfi (now) con-way drivers. I am glad you are happy and like cfi but after giving all that up I just don’t see what is good about this deal the wife and I were told we had to give up are Orlando FL to Santa fe springs Ca run because we didn’t live in Florida... so we got pushed on to the general board (and it was givin to a CFI team) and we went from 6500+ miles to 4.800 to 5.300 a week. and now that we have seen the new blended pay package CEO AND PRESIDENT Herb Schmitt has put out (I think his blender was broke) it looks like the wife and I took a pay cut we get the 1 cpm bump in pay but have to pay more for health insurance. all in all it was a pay lose... some of the old CFI driver's will know what I mean with that silly 1cpm pet penalty they have to pay.. they call this on the phone CFI a CON-WAY company but I call it just CFI-WAY its just cfi in a white rapper.
    The wife and I will try and hang on for a bit longer but I keeps getting harder and harder every day thanks for letting me vent. all the best TOWTOW

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Good luck to you guys.

I spend a lot of time...too much really, talking to CFI drivers that I used to work with, even some I don't know.

I'm hearing the same story every time, that you just told. People just sticking around to the first of the year, taking a wait and see status, or have already put in for ALL their vacation time for the Christmas Holidays, with no intention of returning.

Yet every time I bring it into this forum. I get hit with the proverbial "sore loser/sour grapes" attack from die hard CFI fans.

4. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    CFI is NO MORE! All new trucks are Conway Truckload. White, NO MORE RED RACERS! We knew it was gonna happen.When it's denied on merger talks, YOU KNOW IT's GONNA HAPPEN!!!

5. Madame Butterfly

Madame Butterfly Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2008
    South Carolina
    Being a new driver...yet to find a home. I think I have narrowed down a place to call home only to come to these forums and see all companies getting bashed. I am not so that the complaints are creditable founded complaints.

Could someone please give a "newbie" some advice and where to start work. I am a woman and would love a good place to go to get my experience in. Following are placed I have considered but am very confused as to where to go.

1. USX
    2. Convenant Transport
    3. CFI/Conway
    4. KLLM

Please please someone please shed some light for me.

All help is greatly appreciated.

6. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    3 and 4 are your better bets. Avoid 2 like the plague. I had few problems with CFI. Just some new fuel policies that I'm sure everybody hated.

7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I'm with Truckermario here.

While I dislike CFI, I would recommend them to a beginning driver to start, before choices one or 2.

I'm not sure about KLLM as I have no experience with them.

After reading a few choice things about CFI from within. I'm less sure of them now, than I was from my original recommendations in earlier post.

But I haven't seen anything yet, that would completetly prevent me from recommending them to someone just starting out.

8. chicadriver

chicadriver Light Load Member

May 5, 2008

Last week I completed 6 weeks of training with KLLM as a student driver and I highly recommend them. Good luck to you!

9. Sick-N-Tired

Sick-N-Tired Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Tobaccoville, NC
    I have been seeking employment as a company driver since losing my business to high fuel prices.

Why is it that trucking companies lie so much to get drivers? :dontknow:

:biggrin_2558: I researched and avoided the mass majority of the big companies for obvious reasons. Upon being recruited to a large company that I thought was going to be a good choice, I spent my last hundred dollars to attend their orientation. I understand that you really don't have a position with a company until completing a few other things, such as physical, drug test and road test. That I understand.

Here is what I don't understand and it cost me my last few dollars. :scratch:
    Upon hour six of day one (after the company spent money on a physical and drug test, lunch and motel), they proceeded to tell us that there would be 2 more phases to the job offer. What? I thought they already offered and I was to pass the basic requirements. Oh, NO ... they start asking questions that should have been covered from the initial recruiting phone conversation. The question that disqualified me was "Do you have any reaction to fiberglass insulation?" I answered truthfully and said yes, who doesn't. Having ever been around this stuff you get itchy and a red rash can develop from the glass particles that penetrate your skin.

:smt009 Now the problem is that this company recruiter told me and verified in a second phone call that it would be 80% drop and hook and 100% no touch. So upon being asked that question I asked the mgr "if this was the case where was the problem". The mgr informed me that it was NOT 80% D&H and driver unloading was required. I proceeded to ask why then did the recruiter misinform me. The answer, "well she's new".

I proceeded to relay that that is no excuse, people should be effectively trained and have the proper information before saying things. I also informed mgt that if I was required to know things about my job, why did the company allow the recruiter to work there unsupervised and mislead with improper information. There was silence and the response was "we cannot allow you to work here ... click ... buzzzz."

The other problem arises in that the company expected a driver to perform a task without offering proper safety gear.

I went to the orientation leader and told him of this and he was baffled and said he would bring it up at the next meeting he attended. All good and well but, what about my cost to get there.

The problem is that (and all truckers know this) these problems need to be addressed. I know of and hear many drivers complaints at the deceptive recruiting practices these companies perform on a daily basis.

I would like also to say BOO HOO to the big trucking companies when they cry they have no money and must cut back this and that. The cutbacks usually affect the driver, cut back truck speed, cut wage, cut drop pay, cut cut cut cut cut always at the driver expense.

WELL, it cost that company a physical, a drug test, meal and motel that were unnecessary if they asked those questions in the initial recruting phone conversation. If the stock holders knew of these idiotic practices they would surely change. But as long as it is a driver, I guess it is of no great concern. So BOO HOO because you can't afford this and that, blame your poor management practices, not the fuel prices next time you cut back.

I've always found recruitment practices misleading to truckers. So sad, especially when truckers are what make a trucking company. :biggrin_1square8:

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    SicknTired I feel your pain. I also lost my business to slow freight and high fuel. Fleece purchase gone bad.

I think I'll start a job this week working for the man. It sucks after being self employed.

You just learned one thing about recruiters..... when their jaws are flapping they are lying.

11. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    Good Luck I feel for you my husband worked for CFI back in 06 I thought it was a good company back then but have heard alot of back after they went togather with con way

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.