Chain Laws

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Passin Thru, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    If you want chain laws just go to Californias. If you are legl for 5 axles in CA youre legal in all the states. CA requirement for a 5 axle-You must carry 2 pair of singles and 1 pair of tandems . You may never have to put the tandems on but if they go to a Class 3 advisory you will. How ever, they must be on the truck from SEPTEMBER 1 ea yr. Don't get caught in CA or Oregon w/o chains as they are real sticky on fines.:biggrin_2551::biggrin_2551::biggrin_2551:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

California does not have such a law requiring chains to be carried after September 1. I have run out there all year without chains.

link http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/ops-guide/chains.html

What are the dates for the chain law?
    California does not have any specific dates when vehicles are required to carry chains. When the road is posted with a sign requiring chains, all heavy-duty vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) must be equipped with chains mounted on the tires in order to proceed. Depending on the severity of road conditions, some vehicles (passenger cars, 4-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires) may not be required to install chains at that point. The exceptions will be posted on the sign.

Lurchgs and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  4. Passin Thru

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Sorry, If it sounded like CA law to carry them after Sept 1, CA just won't let you go onif you don't have them at a chain req. area, same law, worded different.However CO and Oregon will check you and it is to the officers disgression if he wants to give you a $115 ticket in OR and they are checking now. CO is 9/1 to 5/31 You'l pay $1013 for blocking the road if you dont have chains on in areqired zone and an arm and leg for the wrecker + 1 unborn child.

5. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

Colorado law is for a certain stretch of i-70 west of Denver that requires the additional time. Otherwise, chains are required to be carried after October 1 and can be removed April 30.

Each of the states have different rules. Washington requires chains on all commmercial vehicles after a specific date. Oregon actually has a chain law when the sign says you have to carry chains.

Each year I google tire chain laws. There is a site that has links to all of the states. I check the laws out because they are states I run in to verify the info and the precise wording.

6. Passin Thru

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    I just put them on Spt 1 and leave em in the trailer box til warm weather. Run CO too much and WA almost ervy run.

7. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I keep checking the WY chain laws...and cant find anything helpful or detailed...just that we need to carry chains OR have 4 wheel drive tires. Either way I carry two sets. Actually need to get hold of someone and see if I need new chains sent out to me or what.

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Smart move. Personally, I carry, but never chain. No load is worth it.

ssbowles and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  9. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Actually I was told that you must carry them at all times in Colorado But they must of changed it again. Here is what the dot actually says now.
    Chain Regulations - Commercial Vehicles Colorado chain law applies to every state highway, federal highway and interstate throughout the state. When the chain law is in effect, drivers will see signs along the roadway indicating which vehicles should chain-up. In some areas of the state, lighted variable message signs will also alert drivers of the chain-up information.
    Metal chains must consist of two circular metal loops, one on each side of the tire, connected by not less than nine evenly spaced chains across the tread. Commercial vehicles having four or more drive wheels must chain four wheels. Dual tire chains are acceptable.
    NEW VIOLATION PENALTIES
    Drivers of commercial vehicles who ignore the chain law can be fined $500 plus a surcharge for not putting chains on their vehicles when required. A driver can be fined $1,000 plus a surcharge if the vehicle is not chained when the law is in effect and as a result blocks the highway.
    Drivers of commercial vehicles must carry chains for their vehicles from September 1 through May 31 on Interstate 70 from MP 163 to MP 259 only. Failure to carry chains on this portion of highway may result in an inspection violation and the driver can be fined $50 plus a surcharge.
    WHEN ARE CHAINS REQUIRED FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLES?
    There are two levels of the chain law that will affect commercial vehicles. A vehicle is considered to be a commercial vehicle if it is used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:
    • Has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 lbs. or more inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs.;
    • Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds.
    • Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
    LEVELS OF CHAIN LAW FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Level 1
    This level of chain law implementation requires that all single axle combination commercial vehicles chain-up. All four wheels of the power drive axle must be chained. Cables are not allowed on single drive axle combination commercial vehicles as an alternative traction device. When level 1 of the chain law is in effect, all other commercial vehicles must have snow tires or chains. Level 1 may be implemented at any time there is snow covering any part off the traveled portion of the pavement on an ascending grade.
    Level 2
    When the chain law is in effect at this level, chains are required for ALL commercial vehicles. This includes trucks exceeding 26,001 lb. weight, and buses or vehicles that are designed to carry 16 or more passengers. Autotransports must comply with the law to the extent possible without causing damage to hydraulic lines. Buses need to chain only two drive wheel tires. (Cables are not allowed on single drive axle combination units, they must use chains!)
    Level 2 may be implemented any time there is snow covering the entire traveled portion of the pavement on an ascending grade or when in the discretion of the highway maintenance supervisor (or designee) road, weather or driving conditions make this restriction necessary to protect the safety of the traveling public or minimize occurrence of road closures.
    Approved Alternative Traction Devices (ATD's)
    Approved ATD's may be used instead of chains. These include wheel sanders (vehicle must carry enough sand to negotiate the hill), or pneumatically driven chains which when engaged, spin under the drive wheels automatically as traction is lost.
    The rules and regulations disallow the use of tire cables on commercial vehicles. The following are the only two approved situations in which cables can be used:
    • Tire cables constructed with high strength steel spring cross member rollers that are at least 0.415" diameter or greater can be used instead of chains on commercial vehicles with the exception of single drive axle combination vehicles.
    • On a tandem power drive axle commercial vehicle any type of cable can be used only if there are chains on the outside tires of one of the power drive axles and cables on two or more tires of the other power drive axle.
    The Colorado Department of Transportation will be monitoring the use of cables and their effectiveness this winter. The Department can at any time rescind the approval of cables as an ATD.
    DOES MY TRAILER NEED TO BE CHAINED UP?
    Colorado has no rule or statute regarding the requirement for chains on trailers. Tire cables are acceptable for use on trailer tires.
    WHERE CAN I CHAIN-UP?
    Trucks placarded for Flammable, Combustible, or Explosives may pass the chain-up signs and install their chains where the pavement is covered by snow or ice, at a safe location outside the traveled portion of the highway.
    INTERSTATE 70 CHAIN-UP STATIONS
    Eastbound I-70: Milepost 178, 183, 184 (shoulder only), 187 (shoulder), 203 (Frisco scenic overlook), 205, 219, 228, 241, and 251.
    Westbound I-70: Milepost 263, 260, 254 (Buffalo Overlook), 229, 223, 221, 213 (brake check area), and 197 (scenic area).
    AFTER I PUT MY CHAINS ON, CAN I CONTINUE WITH MY LOAD?
    Colorado Department of Transportation personnel or law enforcement may control the reentry of vehicles from the chain inspection stations to the state highway to assist and enhance the flow of traffic as assure the safety of the traveling public.
    AT WHAT POINT CAN I TAKE MY CHAINS OFF?
    The chain law shall cease to be in effect where designated by a sign or when bare pavement is encountered on a descending grade.
    Remember! Colorado's weather can change dramatically and quickly. Drivers need to be prepared. Call ahead for road conditions and chain-up information for Colorado's major highways at

AfterShock Thanks this.
  10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I know what the law says. However, when are chains required for the rest of Colorado. This only talks about the section of I-70. Therefore, I only mentioned the dates that were on a previous years notes in my records. I can find no laws pertaining to the rest of the state.

11. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.