Chains, Straps, and Tarps(4 laughs)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by negativecold13, May 19, 2017.

1. negativecold13

negativecold13 Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    got a warning order today that i would be picking up a M1088 tractor next week...I say, sounds good. Since i only have straps with me I will be picking up chains and binders somewhere along the way at the companys expense...but, I was thinking if i had to use straps could i do it legally?
    Also, is there anything specifically in black and white that describes the tolerance(if any) for worn straps? I searched the green book and all i come up with is, able to do its job, or something to that effect.
    And for the laughs...went to tarp my load today and realized i had rolled them inside out...what a pain it was after unfolding them and the sides drop down the stacks of lumber and all my D rings are on the inside...it has been a long day...

Chewy352, passingthru69 and cke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slay

Slay Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Was it M1088 or M108S? What brand?

New or used? Any more info cab or open, 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Trying to figure the weight for you. You might be able to strap it down.

negativecold13 Thanks this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    It's over 10k. 4 point pull. I don't recall anything saying that you can't use straps, but the truck has D rings on it. 18000lbs...2 chains, 4 binders, direct pull 4 different directions. Done in under 10 minutes.

5. negativecold13

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    Yep, Triple Six already got it figured out. We used to haul them all the time in the Army but used chains...biggest concern on the straps is the strap binders dont pivot to get better angle...i would prefer chains but am accustomed to making due...guess i will sleep on it, still got 2500 miles before getting to that job...

cke Thanks this.
  6. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    I argue this with my employer every once in awhile. Yes, straps would be "legal". You could use four 2" straps and then you could put directional pull on it better than 3-4" straps going to a winch. With that said I have a lot more piece of mind using chains. I prefer to use straps on building materials and farm equipment attachments loads. Loads of steel or vehicles/equipment I prefer chains. 4 binders and 4 8-12' chains don't take up much room.

In a pinch you can use a strap going to a winch to tighten a chain. (Assuming you have chain end straps)

negativecold13 and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  7. negativecold13

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    I prefer the piece of mind. Only have basic lumber straps....and its 1700 miles...Iprob pick them up in texas

8. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
  9. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    If they have chain ends you could potentially position the winch directly under the dring so the pull would be straight down. A lot tougher with flat hook ends.

10. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Chain hooks on the straps and your rachet winches will work
    When you said worn, I hope no cuts or nicks in them. If so they are no good if they have tension on them holding down the ld. Slack portion ok.

Broke Down 69 and negativecold13 Thank this.
  11. negativecold13

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    Mostly just look old, i retired all the nicked ones, they are now 1 ft lengths to protect the new straps from sharp edges

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.