Challis, ID to Sun Valley, ID on 75

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Big Road Skateboard, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I've searched everywhere I can online and don't see restrictions other than 46k lb per tandem.

Anybody know for sure?

D.Tibbitt, Oxbow and tramm01 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tramm01

tramm01 Road Train Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Idaho
    @Oxbow would know for sure, but I don’t think you have any problem— been over Galena many times in a big truck

4. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    No problems, just don't get in a hurry. I've seen the routes you like to take - enjoy the scenery. The road from Sawmill Station to Stanley gets pretty narrow along the river, but we have hauled numerous wide and heavy loads through there. Tourism traffic will be the worst of it, but you will see some beautiful views along the river and in Stanley Basin, and probably lots of rafters on the river. Might watch for Big Horn Sheep just out of Challis, and Mountain Goats reside there as well, but they are usually up high in the rocks. Sun Valley is a zoo with traffic, but no issues other than that. Galena Summit isn't all that steep or long, just a bit windy on the south side.

tscottme, Magoo1968, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Thanks to you both! Much appreciated

D.Tibbitt and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    With a 48ft trailer you’re really only affected by the few restricted roads listed in the atlas. Once over 48ft everything changes.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    we had a jobsite we were delivering to out in Ketchum and would take 75 out there.. sure as heck cant beat the scenery probably one of the coolest routes ive ever driven. especially following along the river. breathtaking.

tscottme and Big Road Skateboard Thank this.
  9. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    I'm gonna get me one. My GPS was having a fit when I stayed on 93 outta Salmon, then #### near blew up when I took 75.

BTW, stopped in Stanley. Awesome drive so far. The views can't be beat. Didn't pass another dash flip flopper along the way. And a hot sping along the way. I'll remember for next time

10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I forgot to tell you about the hot spring at Sunbeam. If you get through there again you can ride your bike from Sunbeam up the Yankee Fork and over the top into the Wilderness area, or come back out at Challis, or Bayhorse, or............. lots to see in that area.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Don’t take hwy 21. I had to bobtail down to Boise once to pick up a new trailer and thought to myself that I’d probably never have another chance to run 21 in the summer so I did it bobtail. And there were still some switchbacks that were tight with just the truck. Lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.