Changing start times. Sleep question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Air Cooled, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    just wondering what y'all would do. Local night driver usually starting at 1300 or 1400. Gotta get up at 2330 for a few weeks and do 'dayshift'. Would you stay up all night to make yourself tired to get to sleep a little after my former start time or take a short nap the night before.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
  4. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Yes to stay up all night or take a short nap?

5. BQ Truck Driver

BQ Truck Driver Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2017
  6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    When I've had to make that kind of jump I stay up stupid late to make the switch. No coffee or other caffeine late in the shift. Be prepared to have a day or two of being tired then wide awake when it's time to go to sleep.

WildTiger1990 and Dharok Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You could.

I once was taught that you can flip from night work to day work provided you either sit up out of bed and stay awake a minimum of 30 hours prior to the new bed time and then go to bed the same time ever after. Or you can go home and sleep and sleep some more and begin your shift as usual.

I prefer the sleep method. But the staying up works well for at least a day because you will establish a new bed time. Going straight from night work into a day work or vice versa is killing you. You can never really catch up.

How then do I handle the OTR sleep day and night every 18 hours or so logs? Well.. you are already tired and ready for sleep anyway. The problem becomes when you are not used to it and don't track the day of week very well and get confused.

If everyone got to go to bed at 10Pm at night in all trucking, it wont work. this nation would have a economic issue pretty quickly.

8. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    When I did the jump from day to night, I took a 45 minute powernap. Other than that, all the others have said. Best of luck to you~.... circadian rhythms are hard as HeCL to readjust~!

TripleSix and Dharok Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That makes no sense, if you start at 1300, you are on the afternoon shift, if you start at 2300, you are on midnights.

To answer you question I used to have a few days between the end of one shift week and the start of the other and I would stay up on the first night until I would be so tired I couldn't stay up any more, then go to bed for at least 10 hours, then get up and do that again for the next day, by the time I would be ready to go to work, I would have shifted my sleep pattern enough to deal with it.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I start my shift at 10 pm. What I would do is sleep as much as you can. You will wake up at some point, probably about 10 am the day of your shift. Stay up a few hours then lay back down and go to bed till the last possible minute. Coffee on the way in and all through the night. Come home and go right to bed. If you have an off day stay up like you would if you were headed in. Good luck.

TripleSix and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^^ I work vampires too, by choice. I do exactly this ^^^^ every weekend, so I can have quality time with the family. It's definitely do-able. We may go Krogering late, or wrench in the garage as the sun is going down, but ... Getting it done!

CrappieJunkie and scythe08 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.