Chasing down vibrations, 98 ws 12.7 60 series

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 98 star car, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I'm in the damper camp as well. It may look absolutely perfect externally but be completely used up internally. If the silicone fluid inside has dried up and "clumped", it is actually throwing your engine out of balance rather than dampening crankshaft vibrations.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 98 star car

98 star car Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Update, dyno this morning including another cut out test. It seems to be cylinder #4 injector. Had a value of 1.39... all the rest were 1.11 to 1.2. As it was explained to me that is a clear indication of it not working properly. You could also hear while doing the cut out test. So I got a hold of my mechanic, he is going to warranty the injector and re run the overhead and double check the tightness of the jakes. I am also putting a new dampener on at the same time. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
    By the numbers:
    475hp to the wheels 75%
    1900lbs of torque
    2.2 on the blowby
    Here is the dumb one on my part, I never fished the broken impeller and shaft out of my exhaust pipes after I blew the turbo....
    I can only imagine a bit of restriction and some rattling from that mistake...

Will update again once all work is completed. I'll probably put it back on the dyno.

4. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Another thing, I picked up the updated dd gear case to head support brackets. This was an update from Detroit around 2001 that was to cut down on vibration, create less engine noise and extend gear train life. I have the part numbers if anyone needs them. This is for the series 60 12.7.

5. catwrench55

catwrench55 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2015
    I'd like that part # please been meaning to look into that.

6. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana

Attached Files:

catwrench55 and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  7. AndyKang

AndyKang Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Hey man, did you ever figured it out? I am having the same issue.

8. Pepper1000

Pepper1000 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Did you find your problem

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.